Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
m1ch43l_gw

More Low E2 confusion

m1ch43l
14 years ago

Hi all. First time poster, long time lurker...

I am in the process of getting quotes for vinyl replacement windows for my new home and you can throw me in the 'confused as heck about Low E squared' crowd.

I received the first quote yesterday from a local SoCal installer that came recommended from our home inspector. This guy apparently sells his own brand of windows (American Integrity) and from what I can tell, is legit. But he is reluctant to send me technical information regarding what he is calling Low E2 spec'd windows. Instead, he directed me to Guardian's website and is telling me that the glass is the ClimaGuard 55/27 Low E. Of course there's no information that I can see on the Guardian site that reference U-Factor, SHGC, VT, etc.

When I spoke with him today, he mentioned that the LowE and LowE2 is the same thing, but that the LowE2 has a lower heat gain coefficient. Is he trying to dumb it down for me, or should I have reason to be concerned at his lack of providing tech specs? I have a bit of an uncertain feeling, as he is also quoting me for a higher STC rated window (at my request), but can't show me why its a better sound rated window.

In my research here I've read a lot of good things about Simonton, so I have some quotes lined up for installers who carry those windows as well. But I also wouldn't mind supporting a local business if his product is good.

BTW, his quotes came in at $410 for the 44"x43" sliding windows and $1,534 for the 69 1/4"x79" sliding doors for these supposed Low E2, SoundGuard (STC 32) products, tax and install included.

-Mike

Comment (1)