Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerrym303_gw

Smooth Operating Sliding Door Recommendation

Jerrym303
10 years ago

Hi,

I have been reading this and a few other Gardenweb forums for a while, but this is my first post.

We are looking at opening up a wall in our house to take advantage of fairly sweeping views of the front range in the Denver area. We will likely add 3 54w x 90h fixed windows and replace a 72w x 96h sliding patio door with a 72w x 80h + a transom above of about 72w x 25h (to match the top of the 90" windows installed about 18" off the floor). We have 10' ceilings.

I have quotes for Marvin Infinity (installed) and a preliminary quote on Sunrise Vanguard (without installation). I have become convinced that a number of upper mid-range windows would work for us. The sliding door is the issue. This door will be used frequently - mainly to get the grill on the deck.

I know that the Marvin just has a standard track and that there have been comments here that it can feel heavy. I know nothing about the operation of the Vanguard. I have read somewhere that Fleetwood uses rollers - that sounds appealing.

Anyway, I am open on materials and would like to hear your ideas on sliding patio doors that operate the best.

Comments (7)

• PRO
    Ultra Windows
    10 years ago

Sunrise's patio door is one of the nicest in the industry - smooth operation, great hardware and well built.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

All sliding patio doors use rollers, you want tandem rollers and ideally in my opinion stainless steel heavy duty rollers.

• Jerrym303
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the follow-up. I did figure out after I posted that all the doors I was looking at have rollers. My cheapo builder door now feels like it doesn't, but surely does.

A second question: I am going to get a quote on Sunrise Verde windows as well. The Verde model does not include the fiberglass reinforcement in the Vanguard. I'm wondering if that is an important consideration for my large windows.

• lkbum_gw
    10 years ago

We had a similar situation and went with outward opening french doors. Only potential issue is using a screen (since they open outward, this is not a problem for us). This is a Marvin Integrity with wood interior. We have the same size slider in the basement. Very smooth, but it is heavy. You can save a fair amount of money going with a 96" tall door vs using a transom. Add a cottage grill for the same effect.

• Jerrym303
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi ikbum,

I'm guessing that you are correct about the cost, but our windows will top out at 108", so we need a transom of some size.

We may yet go with a 96" door and a very narrow transom because we would like to re-use the treatment used on our current 96" door and we are not sure if it can be cut back to 80" easily.

• lkbum_gw
    10 years ago

Boy that is tall. Our Marvin rep said adding a transom was just like adding an additional window (the quote with transoms confirmed this). We were just trying to get the look, so the cottage grill worked well in some wwindows. We switched from std door height with transom to 96" doors (no grill) and really like them. Here is a casement with cottage grill.

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

He is correct adding a transom above a window or transom is an additional window even though its connected to a window or door; hence the additional cost.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County