Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clhonu05

Sunrise Essentials Windows

clhonu05
10 years ago

I had a Sunrise sliding glass door installed earlier this year and have been very impressed with it. I had good luck with the dealer so I asked him to come out and give me quote on new windows.

At little background info...my house is 15 yrs old, has 10 windows, and is not high end. Most of the windows are around 34"x58" with two of them being around 34"x70". The four windows on the front of the house have grids. The existing windows are Acorn aluminum single hung pieces of junk.

The dealer quoted $4500 (OTD) for Sunrise Essentials and said the standard Sunrise windows would be a couple grand more. Do those prices sound reasonable? I'm located in central OH.

I've read on here the Essentials are not really recommended so I just want to see if I'd be wasting my money if I bought those. I don't want to spend lot of money but I also do not want junk windows. I figure I'll be in this house at least another 5 years or so.

Thanks!

Comments (16)

• Karateguy
    10 years ago

Double post.

This post was edited by Karateguy on Wed, Nov 27, 13 at 7:05

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

Excellent advice from karate guy.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

+2

That is a huge step down from their primary extrusion and supremely flimsy. I wouldn't use it for any of our customers and I have seen it firsthand.

• clhonu05
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I appreciate the responses. Do you think around $6500 is a good price for the standard Sunrise windows? The only options would be grids on the four front windows.

• PRO
    10 years ago

That number, depending on install, would be within the realm of what I call normal for our region.

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

I'd agree with all of the above. Look to the base Sunrise product at minimum (the Vanguard and Restorations are preferred). On pricing, that would be reasonable in my area as well for installation by a quality company.

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

Me as well.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

I was quoted for Sunrise Vinyl Replacement Windows - Triple Glaze Ultra-U-Plus High Performance Low "E" Glass, Contoured Colonial Grids, Foam Filled Frames, Contoured Recessed Locks, and Poly Foam Wrap Insulations, Opti-View Screening, White inside/outside, Lifetime Transferable Warranty.

Is this a good window?

I had asked for triple pane windows so this is not the Sunrise Essential right? This must be one of the better windows they sell? The quote does not give a name to the window. I am getting three in the front and a sliding door and a door to the front of the house to replace my drafty old one.

• doorproz
    10 years ago

No, it shouldnt be the essentials but its also not the sunrise top offerings which are Vanguard and Restoration series; i sell Sunrise Vanguard out here in P.A. The regular/ standard Sunrise that you were quoted is good but a tad below Vanguard and Restorations.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Thank you doorproz for letting me know that at least the quote is not for the Sunrise Essentials that I would not want.

I wonder what the difference in price is for the Sunrise Vanguard and Sunrise Restoration Series? Just knowing the difference in price between the two windows would be great to see if I should ask to get a quote for the better windows. What makes these top windows better than the triple pane window I was quoted?

I am in Northern NJ. If I love the three big windows (with 8 foot ceilings) and doors I am getting, then after my tax season, I will do the windows upstairs and then decide if I should do the picture windows in the family room but I am leaving them go for last as they are 4 big windows and since there is a cathedral ceiling in that room, I am sure they are very expensive. My bedroom also needs a new balcony door and two new windows as it is drafty and the windows are 23 years old and are builder grade in the townhouse I live in.

It seems that so many people here are asking for approvals for new windows and they are easily being approved as long as they have the colonial grids so I must not be the only one with drafty windows and doors.

• doorproz
    10 years ago

Lynne
    If you are seeing okna, ask your dealer to show you the 800 series. If okna didnt have a dealer 20 minutes from me, i would be selling that window.
    Its truly a solid window.
    Both the vanguard and restorations will be more than the standard sunrise.

This post was edited by doorproz on Tue, Dec 3, 13 at 20:14

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Thank you doorproz for letting me know to ask the dealer to show me the Okna 800 series windows. I can't handle these cold drafty windows anymore as I have a home office and the three big windows on right in front of my desk. Clients complain when they sit down so I need to keep the Honeycomb blind shut and there is still a draft. I do not eat in the kitchen in the winter time since my table is next to the drafty cold patio door. I eat at my desk and it is a shame as I have a nice table in there and I should be taking a break.

• PRO
    10 years ago

Prepare for a huge improvement in the air tightness around the windows in the home with either the upper end Sunrise, Soft-Lite, or Okna windows.

You are going to be pleasantly surprised but make sure your installer (whomever you choose) specified for foam injection around the new window to seal the perimeter.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

3 okna 800 " EnviroStar" deluxe double hungs Triple Pane glass- climaguard lowE / Argon gas fill- magnetic seal - foam filled frame - Composite non metal spacer system- reinforcement bar - locking half screen- white hardware- Grids between glass ( 9 over 6 )

Add 60 per window for tempered glass on bottom Add 32 per window for antique brass or nickel hardware

Okna 8800 " elegante patio door
    Same specs
    double pane
    $150 more for triple pane
    Remember, triple lane is heavy on a door. I think i would prefer you get double pane for the door and triple for the windows, the patio door is extra strength tempered glass, there will be plenty of noise refuction.

Hmi entry door
    20 guage textured steel
    Add $50 more for Fiberglass.

Now comparing the specs of the Okna with the Sunrise dealer, which are better windows? Which are better Patio doors? Which are better front doors? The Okna dealer actually came in at a little bit less in price and he is so knowledgeable and nice. He brought over one of his windows that I loved. The Sunrise dealer is also knowledgeable and nice but bought over no sample windows for me to see how they work or what they look like.

Is tempered glass important since my windows are so close to the floor with only 10" of room from the bottom of the floor to the window sill?

I had posted the specs of the Sunrise Dealer above.

So I now have three quotes. One from the Renewal by Anderson Salesman that tried to pressure me to buy that day and not only can't provide me with a front door but his price was so much more money and I was not impressed.

Then the Sunrise Dealer and the Okna Dealer which are both very nice salesmen that do not pressure me and seem to know windows and doors.

I just checked above and I only gave the specs to the Sunrise Windows. So here all all the specs from the Sunrise Dealer:
    Sunrise Vinyl Replacement Windows - Triple Glaze Ultra-U-Plus High Performance Low "E" Glass, Contoured Colonial Grids, Foam Filled Frames, Contoured Recessed Locks, and Poly Foam Wrap Insulations, Opti-View Screening, White inside/outside, Lifetime Transferable Warranty.

Sunrise Vinyl Replacement Patio Door- Ultra-U Plus High Performance Low "De" Glass, Multi-Point Lock with Keyed Entry, Quad 4 Layer Weather Stripping, Top Hung Rolling screen, Heavy Gauge Aluminum Threshold, Colonial Grids (required by my townhouse complex), Lifetime Transferable Warranty.

Pro-Via Heritage Series Door (Fiberglass)

• PRO
    10 years ago

The Okna 800 will take a performance win over the Sunrise Vanugard. Air, DP, and mil thickenss on the vinyl are all better on the Okna 800 in this comparison.

It is a bit like comparing a Ferrari to a Lamborghini though. Both are great and super performers.

The Sunrise Patio door is a great door and very well regarded by pros. The Okna Elegante will take the air infiltration and DP title again in this comparison but I would put either in my home without hesitation.

Hinged patio doors are another consideration but sliders will usually come in well cheaper.

Provia is a great door as is HMI depending on how you option them out.