Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jef1_gw

Bidding Discrepancy Pricing A ProVia Sliding Door. Help.

jef1
14 years ago

I know this is Window's forum, so I'm not sure if asking a question about a sliding patio door is appropriate here. But here goes.

Got two bids (scratched the first two) we're considering for replacement sliding glass door. Both the same door: ProVia Prestige vinyl 7000 Series w/Low E, Triple Pane Krypton option: $2700 vs. $2247 (both including install).

You might ask: "If it's the same door, why on earth wouldn't you go w/cheaper?" And you'd be right to ask.

So basically it all comes down to who I trust to do the better install. Right? Never done business w/either. Both check out okay w/BBB. Lower priced guy did have three complaints over three years but all were resolved.

Higher priced guy does ProVia's all the time and has no specific line he pushes over others. Lower bid guy deals primarily w/one line, although he installs other brands. But, after meeting w/him today, we're pretty sure he's never done a ProVia. He even admits he's unfamiliar w/Provia doors because he mostly installs the line he carries. Claims his usual line of doors use the same vinyl door extruding company that ProVia uses. So the frame's the same. That wouldn't be surprising since many outfits get parts from a main supplier of that particular part and just customize it according to their own specs after they get the frame. That's why I like ProVia because I think they pay more attention to detail once the frame's in their hands. So according to him, since framing is exactly the same, there'd be no difference installing a ProVia compared to installing one of his regular line of doors.

As long as they've both been installing doors for the same amount of time, (actually the lower bid's been in business longer) does it matter if someone's more experienced installing a particular line of doors than the other guy who isn't? IOW: Is a door-is-a-door-is-a-door and does it all just comes down to the quality of the install? Since I've never done business w/either, I haven't a clue about their workmanship.

I wish there was some way to find out the actual retail price of this door, because the lower bid seems incredibly low by comparison to all others I received. It's almost like the lower bid guy has zero overhead or markup or makes me wonder if he skimps somewhere. Although he did seem to know his business and was very professional. And,m hey...$400+ is nothing to sneeze at. I could use that to help pay the painters. :(

Help!

Comment (1)