Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need advice/suggestion for a motorized outdoor solar shade/screen

Posted by court623 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 20:19

We have very high arched windows that have always let in beautiful light to our great room, however, thanks to Hurricane Sandy, we lost our biggest shade trees and now the whole room gets direct sunlight most of the day making it unbearable to sit virtually anywhere in the room.

The room doesn't really warrant window treatments and because the windows don't have a standard arch, I'm really stuck. I was looking at the Sunsetter Motorized solar shade through Costco but it only comes with a 12' plug-in cord https://www.sunsetterflagpole.com/costconew/costco_easyshade.asp. That wire wouldn't be long enough and I really want something hard-wired (plug in just doesn't seem like the right thing to use on a permanent outdoor shade). I called them and they don't offer a hard-wired option, and, they also say that you void any warranty if you hardwire it.

The idea of the Sunsetter shade works for me. We could install the shade on the exterior of the house where no one would see it, but we could operate it via remote from inside. It would filter the sunlight and give us our great room back.

Does anyone know of any other shade company like this or have any other suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need advice/suggestion for a motorized outdoor solar shade/sc

I haven't used any of them but Costco does seem to do a decent job of vetting some of their contractors so that is a good starting point.

o
RE: Need advice/suggestion for a motorized outdoor solar shade/sc

I'm wondering about the same shades - I need a solar screen but don't want to introduce PVC inside the house - already too many toxic chemicals in the cocktail we breath. I love the idea of catching the heat before it penetrates the glass. Does anyone have any experience with these outdoor shades? Do they blow around in the wind? Are they easy to operate? How much of the view do they obscure? Do they work? I also read someplace that they can only be all-up or all-down, no inbetween settings. Is this true? Can't have the shade only half-closed? Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here