Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nick0379_gw

Plantation Shutters

nick0379
9 years ago

Dear all,

We are planning on getting shutters for our new house. We got three quotes from 1. 3 Day Blinds (Faux Wood), 2. Costco Blinds (Faux wood), and 3. Blindsworld (real wood).

The cheapest quote is given by Blindsworld. The cost is cheaper by 50% to that of Costco. Just wondering if any one has experience with any of these companies for shutters.

Also, the plantation shutters these days are available without the stick in the middle that is used to move the slats up or down. Has anyone come across and can share some advantages/disadvantages of with and without the stick for longer term maintenance.

Thank you

Comments (2)

• millworkman
    9 years ago

You may want to take this to the home decorating forum as this forum is more about the nuts and bolts of windows and doors

• azmom
    9 years ago

Last week we made deposit for plantation shutters on three windows after converting a French door into a big window in the master bedroom.

We moved to AZ in 80s, we have been using plantation shutters in all of our houses due to the hot weather here. As window covering, Plantation shutter is best for energy efficiency, most durable, and we love the clean, regal look. Unfortunately, it is the most expensive option.

We would never use faux wood shutters, we only want real wood. I like the heavy sandblaster pattern, it is very handsome showing distinct wood grains.

Recently decorators are trying to convince customers using smooth finish, or shallow sandblaster pattern because they are 'easier to clean'. I don't buy that since we never have any issues cleaning heavy sandblaster patterned louvers or frames. To me, shallow sandblaster pattern gives the 'cut corner, half a*s job look', why bother.

I think with, without stick makes no difference. We picked with sticks to match other window shutters in the house.

Since the shutters are for bedroom, we chose the split opening option that the louvers are grouped in two. We could close bottom group and leave top group open for privacy, and to let light in. When the two groups are open, they look exact the same as other shutters (hope the description makes sense).

Due to the small wall clearance of one of the windows, we picked a frame that gives an inside mount look instead of thicker frame as other shutters in the house. Either option is very nice.

You need to check qualify of workmanship, material and experience of the business when comparing quotes, such as thickness of wood frame, louvers, quality of wood, hardware, paint, and service. Getting references from sales persons and call each one of the references.

Plantation Shutter is a big investment, depending on the number and size of the windows you try to cover, it would easily cost over $10k, $20k or more. Don't take it lightly. In our experience, buying plantation shutters is definitely "you get what you paid for".

A side note - I am not sure if shutters would "increase the value of the house" as realtors suggested even it is the case based on our own experience. It is for sure they help selling a house. They are pricey, but are so worth it.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner