Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
housebroke94025

Help w Affordable Patiuo Doors

housebroke94025
10 years ago

I posted this in remodeling first, then thought this forum might be a better fit.

I am building an in-law unit / pool house in the yard and want one side to have a large (twelve foot) glassed in opening. I would like to have a four panel sliding patio door setup, with the two middle panels opening and the two outside ones stationary so there is a large, six foot uninterrupted opening in the middle.
I went to HomeDepot and got quotes for two different major brands in this set up (Anderson and Jeld-Wen). $7200-8000! And that is with their current 15% off sale. I need to find a cheaper alternative.

I would consider hinged French doors, with one opening pair in the center and two full size fixed doors flanking like sidelights, if it would save significant cash. I don't think two 72 inch sliders units would look too good because of the need for a center support. Bi-fold like Nano wall could look spectacular, but likely to be even more expensive.

Anyone have any ideas how I can fill 12 feet with glass, preferably center opening and a traditional French door look, without spending a fortune? Brands and where to buy much appreciated.

Comments (6)

• Karateguy
    10 years ago

Get a 3 panel slider, and for that large opening I'd highly suggest a well-built and airtight door . Okna and softlite have the best air leakage ratings that I've seen. I'd imagine that you should be able to come in under those prices with a reputable dealer.
    Hinged doors would be more. Stay away from box stores if you can. They seem to be hit or miss on installs, and lack knowledge if you are going DIY.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

+1

If you don't mind the slider, they make a great unit and can usually be had much more cost effectively than swing doors.

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

For something as complex as a large patio door install, i would NOT recommend doing it yourself. Pay a little extra and have a pro do it correctly.
    I agree with " karate guy", invest in a quality door, dont look for a cheap price, it will prove to be a very expensive mistake.

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

+1 to all of the advice above. Good product recommendations and I'd concur with cost savings on sliders as well as a professional installation unless you are very experienced in carpentry and have all of the proper tools and equipment.

• housebroke94025
    Original Author
    10 years ago

To be clear, I am not doing the work myself. I am working with a contractor I have used before who is a great craftsman, but my arrangement with him means I source, plan and pay for stuff like this, and he installs it at a very reasonable price. This means I have to do the research on the products, but I kind of like that :-)

I don't really understand pricing on windows and doors. In a previous remodel, I bought three sets of French doors at HomeDepot, Atrium Pro line, the epitome of a big box buy. They are wood with aluminum cladding, grills inside and out, pre-hung with effective weather stripping (at least effective enough for our mild NorCal climate). After six years, they have never been painted and still look great. They cost about $700 each. I love them and would definitely use them again, but Home Depot no longer carries them.

Anybody have experience with imported mahogany doors like this: http://www.buywooddoors.com/shop/product/21

I have had something similar on the main house for about three years and it is performing well. I painted it out white, so I expect more maintenance over the long run than with the Atrium doors, but this is looking like it might be my most economical option.

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

The stuff that you are talking about is pretty low end. You won't find any professionals recommending it unless you use the term "professional" VERY loosely. You may be able to get away with it for a while due to the mild climate (as it sounds like you have so far), but you are really asking for problems at some point. A high quality single door will cost more than that at a wholesale price, let alone a double door, or the opening in question with potentially 4 panels.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths