Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olivesmom_gw

Rainy climate: awning windows best choice?

olivesmom
11 years ago

We are planning our new build outside of Seattle. The home will be sort of northwest cabin take on a colonial. This will be our dream home, our forever home and will be fairly high end, so I would like nice windows.

Given our moderate climate I find that we have the windows open quite a lot, but the rain is an issue. In our current home many of our wooden blinds and window sills have cosmetic water damage from being left open during rain. During the spring and summer it can be warm enough to want the windows open, but still rainy. I would like to have windows that can be open despite rain. Would awning windows be my best bet?

Would awning windows prevent rain from coming in? Do they still allow breezes to come through? What about using them to exit in an emergency, is it possible? Any other concerns with them? Do the commonly recommended manufacturers Make awning style?

Looks-wise i dont think awning style windows would normally look right on a colonial, but since we are doing a more of a transitional cabin with craftsman touches I think they might work really well.

Here are a few photos I found online that I like:

This one tilts the wrong way, but otherwise it looks nice

Comments (14)

• olivesmom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Those tilt and turns are interesting, I've never heard of them before. It seems like they tilt in, whereas an awning window tilting out would be better for rain. Maybe I'm not understanding them completely.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

they tilt in at the top, have been used in Europe for years. Great in rainy weather.

• dekeoboe
    11 years ago

As millworkman stated, tilt and turns work great in the rain. And they can be used as an exit in an emergency. In fact, if you have them tall enough, they can be used as a door.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    11 years ago

Another vote for tilt n turn.

Be prepared to pay a bit of a premium but they are a great operator style.

• olivesmom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think I need to see the tilt and turns in person, all the photos I can find show them tilting inward which wouldn't be good in rain.

If I don't go with tilt and turns, would awning windows be the second best choice for my climate? Would they still provide good ventilation? Would it be possible to mull a stationary window above or below an awning window of the same size to mimic the look of a double hung?

• PRO
    11 years ago

Yes.

Awnings would be my second choice but they relegate you to a style dimension opening that most people don't prefer.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Tilt & Turns do tilt in and believe it or not are perfect for and designed to open in the rain. They are engineered to weep any water effectively and have been used in the rainiest areas of Europe successfully for years.

• dekeoboe
    11 years ago

Why do you think that having them tilt inward would not be good for rain?

• millworkman
    11 years ago

I don't know what the hell I was thinking they do tilt in not out, my apologies.

• PRO
    11 years ago

Somebody was in a turkey coma yesterday...?

• millworkman
    11 years ago

More like Vapor Lock, lol.

• olivesmom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

deckeoboe:

If they tilit in it seems to me more rain would get in. It seems like the rain often comes down at an angle. If the window tilted out at the bottom, then less rain would get in. This is all in theory, or at least in my head. I have sliders right now and rain gets in and has ruined some of our blinds and window sills.

I've read read as well that tilt and turns are common in europe, often with a similar rainy climate. So I would imagine they must be good in rain, but I just don't see how.

• dekeoboe
    11 years ago

olivesmom - Tilt and turn windows only tilt in a fixed amount and it is not wide enough that rain is going to come in. Here is a picture of mine while the house was under construction.