Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nomoreprojectsplease

Marvin Integrity All Ultrex: Pro's and Con's

Peter Olmsted
12 years ago

I am looking at using Marvin Integrity All Ultrex windows for a new home we will be constructing. What experiences does anyone have with these windows? We are also trying to decide between casements and double hung windows. What are the cost differences and features you like and dislike of each type of window? Thanks.

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    12 years ago

The Integrity is a very solid product.

Double Hung will be cheaper and the Casement will be more airtight and give you a more uninterrupted view.

• millworkman
    12 years ago

+1 on windows statements.

• Peter Olmsted
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the information. Any idea on the price difference ballpark and what makes the casement more airtight. I always thought the double hung would seal better.

• pam29011
    12 years ago

Casements are more airtight because the latch pulls the window tight into the frame. Wind can't get a grip on an exposed edge to pull the window away from the frame a little bit (like it can with a double hung).

However, if it's raining a little & you have your casements open, the inside surface of the window gets wet. But if it's raining a little and you have double-hung windows open a little, nothing bad happens & you still get air. We used to drop the top window an inch or 2 if we wanted fresh air when it was raining outside.

Course, if you want the best of both worlds you can get awning windows :) Just kidding - they work great in some applications but don't give you as much ventilation when fully opened. Though I still plan to get some when we add a dormer to our house (hopefully in 2012).

-Pam

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    12 years ago

360 degree weatherstripping that is unbroken by the meeting rail or any joints couple with the compressive seal from the latching mechanism make the casement more air tight.

As wind pressure builds on the outside of the window, it just forces the window tighter.