Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrs_nyefnyef

Bank of 3 Casements and 2 Fixed - In What Order?

Mrs_Nyefnyef
10 years ago

I am replacing 5 Pella Pro-Line windows from 1991 that have rotted sashes and other problems. They are all on the same wall. 3 windows are casements and 2 are fixed. I am replacing them with Marvin Ultimates. Each window measures 35" x 59". There are draperies that open from the center, so that there is a drapery stackback on each end.

Right now, the windows are in the order of:

Fixed - Casement - Casement - Fixed - Casement

My contractor said that developers/builders in a hurry in 1991 put no thought into the order of my windows, and it doesn't make sense to have a casement window on one end which is never going to be opened since it'll always be behind the drapery stackback. He says I should have each fixed window on each end, and the three casements in the middle next to each other:

Fixed - Casement - Casement - Casement - Fixed

So, is it better to have the 3 casements next to each other in a row like he says, or is it better for the 3 casements to be broken up by a fixed window the way it is now?

(I couldn't get all 5 windows in this pic. There is 1 fixed window on the left that is not in the photo.)

Comments (5)

• PRO
    East Bay 10
    10 years ago

I tend to agree with your contractor but the ultimate answer is up to you. Are you happy with the way it is now? Are the end casements in the way of the drapes and never opened? Answers to these two questions should tell you which way to go. Because of the number (3), they should all be handed the same and consideration should be given as to the direction of the wind.

• toddinmn
    10 years ago

I I prefer casement / large picture / casement.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

I am with Todd.

I prefer the large fixed in the middle and two flankers give you more than enough ventilation through the sides.

• Mrs_Nyefnyef
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your responses. I am in a townhome development and must stay consistent with the appearance of the other townhomes. So I cannot change the 5 windows to one large center fixed with two flanking casements. I have to stay with 5 individual windows.

Even if I could use the configuration recommended by Toddinmn, I would have the same issue I described in my OP of drapery stackbacks at each end which cover the end casements making them unlikely ever to be opened.

Eastbay10 - I am glad you agree with my contractor because it gives me confidence in his advice. Yes, one end window is a casement right now, and the drapery on that end means that casement is never opened because the drapery is in front of it. So I'll go with the recommendation that the new window in that spot be a fixed window. However, of the 3 casements that will be in the middle, we are doing two left-hinged and one right-hinged. These are large windows, and it is unlikely I'd have 3 open at once. We handed one differently because that one is in direct line of the bedroom door, and its direction-opening will take advantage of enabling cross-breezes coming thru the doorway.

This post was edited by Mrs_Nyefnyef on Wed, Nov 20, 13 at 8:26

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Sounds like good reasoning and a solid choice all the way around to me.