Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help Picking Vinyl Windows

Posted by MattGTS (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 9, 12 at 17:09

I am desperate for some help. I am building a new home and have a budget of about $15,000 for the 45 windows in the home (all standard sizes). The budget includes installation which will be done through my GC. I have been looking at lowes and home depot which have Pella Thermostar and Jeld-Wen. I have also looked at some other local places for quotes. I can get them in my pricerange Thrmostar 10 series for Pella and the Premium Vinyl for Jeld-Wen.

I need a decent window, this house is already over my budget and I don't mind having to replace them in 10 years. I live in Colorado so half the year is cold and half the year is hot and LOTS of sun all year. I have a DR Horton home now and cannot find out what windows they are but they are working fine for us after 11 years. I would like a similar quality.

Every site has stats and specifications touting quality and I read these posts and see opinions range drastically. Can you please help me with what brands to look for and what to ask or avoid?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help Picking Vinyl Windows

MattGts
Both pella and jeldwin make bottom of the barrel vinyl windows as does Andersen. Spend your money wisely and search for quality.
Quality brands that every pro would recommend are as follows:
Okna / HiMark- Soft lite- Gorell - Sunrise- Innovations by Home Guard.
Also, 15K is very unrealistic for 45 windows; that cannot be done unless you purchase low quality windows and a " jack of all trades" contractor who will not do a proper install.
I understand about having a budget , that said, do your project in stages. If you go the cheap route I can guarantee the windows will detract from your home plus you will wind up doing the job twice and that is a very expensive mistake.

o
RE: Help Picking Vinyl Windows

Don't buy crap in this case. You will regret it down the road...trust us.

Sunrise and Soft-Lite make great windows in vinyl that you can get in Colorado.

Is the budget for just the windows or for setting them as well?

What options in the windows? Grids, colors, etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here