Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I screwed myself ... suggestions please

Posted by cvette (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 4, 10 at 17:08

I ordered a window I don't like.

I spent a good deal of time researching manufacturers, specifications and options. I pulled moldings and measured my rough opening and finally ordered Andersen A-series windows. The DHs are nice, however the mullioned L-R casement I bought has a ton of wood. This is a new construction window and there is much less glass than the window it is replacing. Of all the things I researched, I did not look at glass size.

Other than this, it is a good looking window. I spoke with the builder supply I purchased from who stated Andersen won't take it back. I plan to try Andersen directly because I want to buy another Andersen. It has a prefinished, stained interior so that makes it harder to find a new home. I'd return it or sell it for 50% cost just to get out of this jam I created.

Any ideas on how I can find this window a home? I could always try ebay. Any other suggestions would be g-r-e-a-t-l-y appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I screwed myself ... suggestions please

It sounds like you are certain you don't want the window, but I just had to say that when I replaced my old aluminum windows with wood, I was shocked by how much smaller the glass area was. Didn't expect it, never thought about it. Then within a very short time, I forgot how they used to look and was able to just appreciate the beauty of the new wood windows. The glass area is still large and completely adequate. Maybe others have had the same experience and could reassure you that it might work out okay?

o

It's true, you may get used to it, but if you're certain you want another, don't install it, you'll get more for it new.

Craigslist may be simpler than ebay, and I see lots of windows etc under "materials" in the for sale.

Best to have what you really want, if you have the choice now.

o

I replaced all of mine and the glass size is slightly smaller. I noticed it for about a day or two and never again.

o

Thanks everyone. For a small amount of extra cost to us, the builders supply company let us swap the window out for another model. It's a little more but it is worth it.
Thanks again.
Chris

o

your very fortunate in that they took the window back even with a return charge.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here