Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seeking reccos re replacing windows

Posted by Optimist999 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 3, 12 at 16:47

I'm looking for recommendations on replacement windows on my circa-1960 ranch-style house.

The current windows are wood-frame, single-pane, double-hung, held in place by light aluminum rails nailed to the basic window opening.

I have begun looking at replacements, and Andersen makes a window that can be replaced in the same space, with no replacement of trim.

Does anyone have any general observations on this subject, on specific brands, on whether this simple form of replacement is a good idea, etc.? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seeking reccos re replacing windows

Which Andersen window are you referring to. If you are referring to the Renewal by Andersen, you can search that term and probably find a myriad of threads on that window.

What do you want you new windows to look like?

o

As to what I want them to look like....I'm not after any particular look. This is more about functionality than looks. I guess "modern".

Thanks for the idea of searching. I will do that.

o

As far as the look question goes, what do you want the material feel to be like?

If you are okay with vinyl, you will have the best bang for the buck out of that material category.

o

I will have to take a close(r) look at vinyl.

I should have said, "the main thing is functionality, except that I would never buy anything that looked tacky or cheap". I'm not opposed to vinyl, in principle--I'd have to see how it looks.

o

There are some good looking vinyl windows out there so don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

o

In general, what are some good brands, and some brands to stay away from? I plan to avoid anything that's not a national brand, e.g. anything not in the category of Andersen, Marvin, Pella, etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here