Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
illinigirl_gw

Window upgrade questions/pricing....(Andersen 400, Integrity)

illinigirl
10 years ago

Hi,
We need to choose our windows for our new build within a couple weeks. The builders standard is a Jeldwen Builder's Wood. Reading here quite a bit I know it's not a favorite to say the least, but my builder has them in his own house now for 3 years and he says he puts them in about 95% of the houses they do, and they are not a low end builder by any means, even the million dollar homes we've toured. so there's that.

Now, I did ask to look at upgrades and he according to him he was able to work the Andersen people hard to get pricing within $3500.00 of the standard Jelwen Builders wood. This would be vinyl exterior and prefinished white wood interiors, grills in the glass, exterior color choice and grill color choice for both exterior and interior. We are having white trim in the house.

Next option up is the Marvin Integrity (wood ultrex) which I have not seen yet. These price out at yet another $4000.00 over the Andersen 400's, which is now pushing out of the budget.

1) I'm surprised that the Marvin's are so much more than the 400's. How does pricing typically compare between these two? As a percentage, the 400's are coming out 17% over the Jeldwen, and the Marvin Integrity's are coming out about 35% over the Jeldwens.

2) I could clearly see that the 400's were a nicer window than the Jeldwens as far as how the windows glided over the track, and the interior finish of the white factory painting, and the slider doors were nicer.

3) Sometimes I've read posts saying the 400 is a 'solid' window, other times I've read that it's not great, or 'entry level'.

If we decide on the 400's what specific areas should we be concerned about over the short and long term with these windows? Am I correct that if this is the maximum price point we are willing to go on windows (which is already at almost 25K) that we should definitely choose 400's over the Jeldwen Builder's wood? Since it is our builder getting all the pricing for us I'm not sure we would be able to get better pricing from other vendors that he doesn't typically use. (and it doesn't sound like he typically uses Marvin at all).The builder is going to be installing the windows. I guess I'm wondering if it's even worth pursuing the Marvin's since they are so far out of our price range. Unless I could get them at the same price point as the Andersen 400's.

thanks!

Comments (2)