Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
housenewbie_gw

installing windows into concrete block

housenewbie
16 years ago

I'm thinking of getting new windows for the basement before the tax credit for window replacement goes away at the end of the year. But the old windows are installed directly into the concrete block. Can this be done w/ modern windows? They'd be normal, double-hung-type windows (it's the walk-out end of the basement).

I've been looking around online and instructions for window installation talk about jack studs and so on. These are obviously not present. Do we have to add wood framing into the window openings? I've seen that type of window installation on This Old House, so I know the basics. Like what a jack stud and header is.

Any expert advice is appreciated.

Comments (6)

• Fufu
    16 years ago

Hi, House:

What is your existing window? Single pane in steel frame? And what kind of new "modern" window are you looking for?

In any event, the installation/retrofit procedures for concrete block should be very similar to conventionals. The only difference may be the use of concrete expansion bolts in lieu of wood screws to secure the window frame. There won't be the need of wood frames. Just make sure all "gaps" have been properly sealed.

Good luck!

• housenewbie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry not to respond sooner; I'd forgotten to check back here in the last few weeks.

Yep, existing is single pane in metal. Steel or Al, don't know for sure. I'll take a magnet and check it out later.

I'm pretty much just looking for basic windows that will (1) open for air and (2) be more insulating. Not that the concrete block is insulating, but someday we may finish off the walls.

Would I want 'replacement' windows or 'new construction' windows? Those are the two types at Lowes/HD. I assume the "new" type have more framing stuff than the 'replace,' which are designed to just pop into an existing window frame.

Again, thanks for taking the time to reply!

• gtbzz85
    9 years ago

Hi! Just checking to see what happened with your window replacement project? I as well am looking to replace an entire house full of windows in a concrete block house. The current aluminum frame windows are directly attached to the concrete block (no wood "bucks" or jack studs, or whatever you call them!). One Jeld-Wen sales person told me to install them - but didn't say how to install them. For instance, are 2x4's appropriate, or do I need 2x6? How many anchors would I need in each wood buck? It would seem that all the windows could be larger if I didn't have to install the wood bucks, but then I think about having to seal up around windows that were installed directly to the concrete block. It would seem that there could be a sizable gap (1/4" possible) around the window that would need to be filled with foam backer rod then lots and lots of caulk applied. That doesn't seem like a great idea for a hurricane prone area! So much to consider - if anyone has any thoughts please post them! Thank you.

• PRO
    Danmeier Architects
    8 years ago

Funny! "lots of caulk applied". Not really! Note that the greater majority of OLD homes were built without caulk, yet they don't leak. Lots of caulk suggests "hope", and many of us know how that generally works out.

The most critical component of this installation is sealing the windows adequately. Really though, proper preparation of the CMU opening is the most important. Treatment of the CMU and the mortar (including mortar type) must be done prior to installation, otherwise moisture can and will penetrate through the mortar joints to the interior. Irritating? you bet, but I've seen the same results time after time. Generally, the opening needs to be thoroughly treated with a water proof sealer that IS COMPATIBLE with the sealant product you will ultimately use in creating the foam backer rod/sealant joint around the perimeter of the window(s). Also, understand and make certain to fit the windows (size) to the openings so that a proper depth to width sealant joint can be installed. Read your sealant product information to determine these ratios.

• HU-447552112
    3 years ago

Hi there,

I'm replacing my existing windows with new ones for a block home. Are there specific windows that i need to buy?

• PRO
    toddinmn
    3 years ago

I’d start a new thread since this is -2 years old.

Are you installing?

more details would help.

To answer you question, yes but the answer depends.