Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carotene_gw

"Best Price" reduced when bid lost

carotene
10 years ago

We took the plunge on Okna 800's for our house vs. some quotes on sunrise and imperial ls. As a courtesy, we contacted the losing bidders who in turn responded by cutting their quotes down $2.5K. Does this happen frequently in this industry?

I'm upset because we made a comparison based on what we thought were best offers from a few very reputable vendors. Then this happens and now the Okna's are darn near $140/opening higher than the sunrise (which includes sash reinforcements and foam & upgraded glass).

I'm happy with the decision to go with Okna installer - it's just somehow insulting to me that I was given a "best price" by the competing bids, only to have that best price slashed down by a substantial amount. If they'd just thrown out their truly best price to begin with, things might have turned out differently for them.

Makes me wonder what the response would have been from the okna dealer had I feigned that I chose another installer.

what do i know...

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Ultra Windows
    10 years ago

Which Sunrise model were you looking at?

• carotene
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No model. Just "sunrise". I've read online about verde & restorations. Yet, go to www.sunrisewindows.com and show me where they mention those models. The installer who provided the quote wasn't aware of these models either. Maybe it's a regional branding thing or only available to a special dealer network???

Okna/himark website clearly delineates their models (though they don't post their warranty!)

• PRO
    Ultra Windows
    10 years ago

The reason I asked is because the Okna 800 is far superior to the basic Sunrise window, and that should be some consolation. I'd also add that such a major price drop is indicative of a desperate contractor and that's never a good thing.

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

+1. That type of price drop is either someone who is desperate or whose price was way too high in the first place. Either way, you are better off. As ultra mentioned, you got the better product choice anyway.
    Re: The Sunrise lines, they take branding a step further than most and really segregate their dealer networks and product lines. They have completely different websites and dealers generally do not have access to more than one of the lines. The process serves most people fine, but it definitely can get confusing when you start doing research.

• carotene
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Re: sunrise. Thanks homesealed. As a consumer this is very frustrating. It's 2013 - people use the internet to research and compare. Their website, brochures, and dealer sales pitches don't match. It really turned me off from their brand.

The fact the Okna doesn't post their warranty on their site also gave me pause. If it's so great, why not sell it? My dealer was able to provide a copy.

This industry is highly fragmented. The casual consumer has no idea who is legit, who's the leader, who can be trusted. I would've thought 2 or 3 well-established OEMs would dominate 70% of this mature market.

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

Alot of companies refuse to engage in "bidding wars". I know i have walked away from a few jobs just because a homeowner was quoted a ridiculously low price by another contractor and i wont fall victim to that. I know what kind of margins i need to maintain in order to cover expenses and pay my high quality installers plus make a profit.
    Of course at the end of the day it was never a true apples to apples comparison to begin with.
    You did well with the okna. If you get a good window and a good install, you hit a home run in my book. Having someone give you a job at a cheap cost because he is desperate is not something i would consider a " good deal".

• carotene
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mmarse. Couldn't agree more. I want a good install from a company that manages the books well so they'll be there for me in the future should warranty issues arise. What surprised me was that I chose three highly rated local installers and two of them drastically cut their price in an attempt to steal my business. I guess I'm naïve, but I really didn't see that coming. Shopping quotes is tacky IMO.

Anyway, Im really looking forward to the new windows!

• toddinmn
    10 years ago

This happens all the time with anything that is sales driven. What doesn't happen always is the call back which gives them a second/last chance on the sale.

Wouldn't the Sunrise window with the upgrades quoted be similar to the 800?

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

Close but the performance nod still goes to the Okna 800.

If you see a cross section of the sills, the comparison is even more dramatic.