Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recommendation for Replacement Windows

Posted by kswartwout (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 8, 12 at 15:31

Hi,

I am hoping to get some advice regarding window replacements that I need on a house we are buying. We have 30 windows to replace, the house is an 1870 tudor in the Chicago area. Some of the windows were already replaced with the pella architect series with simulated divided light grilles, which I think look nice, and I would like something similar looking. They are brown on the outside and painted white on the inside. We would like something similar looking, with unfinished wood on the inside (which we will paint) and wood with aluminum clad (dark brown) on the outside, simulated divided light. Most are casement.

Can you give me the brands I should price out, and how they usually compare price-wise? I'd like to stay within around 20k for the windows themselves if that is possible. I already got a bid on pella, sdl in the proline for 19k. I've heard the proline is bad quality?

Also, roughly what would you expect to pay an installer per window?

thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recommendation for Replacement Windows

I wouldn't use the ProLine in this case. Stay with the Architect or Designer series.

Take a look at the Marvin Integrity as well or the InLine Eternity.

Regardless of window, I think 20K for that window with SDL is going to be budget tight.

o

+1 on wow, I do not believe you will find a quality wood/aluminum clad window at all in that price range. I personally do not like Pella, (although there Architect and Designer series are decent windows in my opinion but the fact that they market the low end crap they do turns me off to them as a whole). SDL's generally add considerably to the cost and I do not remember the figures now per lite. Tudor style houses if I remember correctly have tall windows plus the fact that they are casements (which are inherently more expensive)will make a budget of probably close to 1 to 1 1/2 that price more realistic. Add in the fact that your in the Chicago area with harsh winters and you need to not buy junk.

o

what exactly is the problem with pella proline?

o

mediocre performance and just general lack of quality

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here