Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kolbe Window Rolled or extruded

Posted by from_a_buick_8 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 6, 09 at 15:16

I know have quotes for a Kolbe wood window, the price for a full install of these are very close to what I have from Andersen and Pella, but for one exception.
I was quoted two prices one for the Kolbe Ultra traditional and one for the Ultra Sterling, the difference being the Sterling has an extruded exterior cladding and the Traditional has the roll form exterior cladding. The Sterling is about 15% higher.

Neither of the Kolbe quotes includes the grilles we want so this may push them a little higher then the Andersen and the Pella quote. We have pretty much ruled out the Pella window and the contractor that installs Marvin in our area was out and took measurements last night so we expect to hear from them soon.

We still need to see the Kolbe and the Marvin window in person, but hope to do that in the next few days.

Now my question is having the Extruded cladding worth the extra 15%

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kolbe Window Rolled or extruded

It's ashame you have to come here to get those questions answered.

o

Personally i would spend the $ if you can and get the Sterling which is the all Extruded unit. The Metal is obviously thicker and the color of the sash will be the same as the frame for the entire lifetime of the units frame, which may not happen if you go with the roll form as the gauge is much thinner on Roll Form(think coke can)

o

Thanks afsa, we have not seen the Kolbe window yet but from the post I have read on here it does sound like the extruded is the way to go.

Ibwindows - I guess I worded my initial post incorrectly, what I was looking for opinions from folks on here if they thought the 15% difference in price was a true reflection of the difference in value between the two products.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here