Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lowgear_gw

Replacement Windows

LowGear
9 years ago

I live in an Aframe home built in 1963; no roof insulation. Home is located in Champion, Pennsylvania (SW PA) at about 2600' elevation. Home has electric furnace and the main living area has a fireplace insert.
I am looking to replace all of the glass in the front of the home. Four non opening windows (4'X 8') and one 80" X 36" non opening window.
My contractor recommended Viwinco vinyl replacement windows. Viwinco does not seem to be highly regarded on this site. After revealing this site's Viwinco negative comments to the contractor, he also recommended Kensington Quantum.
Is Viwinco truly an inferior window? The Viwinco brochure performance ratings do not reflect it is inferior.
What manufacturer gives one the biggest bang for your buck? Is Kensington Quantum an alternative?
Thank you for reveiwing post.

Comments (18)

• mmarse1
    9 years ago

The kensington is made MUCH better and is a top tier window. viWinco doesnt even come close. The Quantum is a heck of a window.

• toddinmn
    9 years ago

The DP and air infiltration performance numbers are often where the winners and losers get separated.

• LowGear
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the responses.
    What I do not understand is:
    If the Viwinco Cambridge replacement window brochure performance ratings, meet or exceeds NFRC standards, why do some folks state it is inferior? What problems have they encountered?
    Does ViWinco pass testing then rapidly deteriorates? What am I missing?

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

NFRC standards do not apply to the items that Todd mentioned.

Ask them what the DP and Air Infiltration rates are. Post back with what you figure out.

• LowGear
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dp rating is DP70; Air Filtration is .01 CFM. U-Value is 0.27, SHGC is .28. Thank you.

• PRO
    9 years ago

Those numbers are impressive. Where did you get them and why were you confusing the two data points if you had access to that information so readily?

Where do you come up with the DP70 number?

http://www.viwinco.com/products/replacement/cambridge/performance-data

Here is a link that might be useful: Viwinco Cambridge Performance numbers

• PRO
    Ultra Windows
    9 years ago

In the original post, the OP stated that he's looking at fixed picture windows. They will of course always have very low AI ratings and higher DP ratinga, so the numbers aren't so exceptional.

• mmarse1
    9 years ago

ViWinco is a builders grade window. Their TRUE NUMBERS on their double hung is average at best.
    Ufactor- .29
    Condensation resistance 56
    Air leakage- .10 ( i noticed they conducted their testing with a HUGE window; 48 x 72 ). A large window always renders better numbers, thats kind of cheating,. Whens the last time a customer used a 48 x 72 double hung? I never installed a double hung close to that size.
    Average size for a double hung window is 32 x 50 .
    Most companies conduct testing at 40 x 62 or smaller.

Most all fixed windows have an air leakage rate that is .02 or lower, thats because they are non operable. Of course the rate is low. The benchmark is a double hung.

• PRO
    9 years ago

Good catch Ultra Windows.

Any fixed picture window will be relatively airtight (depending on install).

If you are happy with that window, you could do a whole lot worse.

• HomeSealed_WI
    9 years ago

+1. Those ratings would indicate a very solid double hung, but nothing special at all in picture window/fixed casement.

I can't speak to this manufacturer individually, but generally speaking this is one of the many ways that purveyors of inferior product manipulate and confuse consumers which IMO is unethical. Quoting performance for a picture window (most quote double hung as it is most common), using an abnormally large unit size (this makes the air infiltration rating look better), quoting center of glass u factor or frame "r factor" (as opposed to total unit u factor), using heavy low-e coatings in climates and circumstances where it is inappropriate, and now surface 4 low-e coatings (low-e that is on the glass inside your home) that significantly reduces condensation resistance are all ways that manufacturers manipulate data to make their product look better. All of these options and information have their place when properly applied, however many (if not most) times it unfortunately is not.

This post was edited by HomeSealed_WI on Tue, Nov 18, 14 at 13:05

• LowGear
    Original Author
    9 years ago

All, Thank you for all of the technical details. I am now much more knowledgeable thanks to your efforts.
    I called ViWinco and they stated each window performance rating was drawn from actually testing that particular type of window. Their brochure, and the attached link, reflect the performance ratings.
    Why do you folks have a negative opinion of ViWinco? I am hoping to gather comments from someone that has had actual problems with ViWinco products.

Here is a link that might be useful: CLICK Viwinco Cambridge Replacement Windows Performance Data*

• PRO
    Ultra Windows
    9 years ago

I don't have a negative option of ViWinco at all. As WoW said, you could do a lot worse. But I also agree with HomeSealed that for a salesperson to present you with the ratings of a picture window rather than a double hung is slight of hand and not appropriate for an honest, above board salesperson.

• PRO
    9 years ago

+1

I am still trying to read where this window was trashed by anyone.

mmarse probably had the strongest commentary on the window when he said it was "builder's grade".

Based on the factual numbers associated with that window, that is a fair assessment. There are builder's windows that are used with similar thermal and structural numbers.

I think the Kensington is probably a better unit with better thermal numbers and structural numbers. Again, the point is largely moot when talking about a fixed window as it pertains to structural data.

If you are happy with the window and okay with the facts on it, go with it.

• LowGear
    Original Author
    9 years ago

WoW. Thanks for your input. These are posts from GradenWeb
    Viwinco windows or Andersen? (Title)
    Posted by EcoStarRemodel
    I would use a vinyl window in this circumstance. However, I would not use Viwinco.
    Posted by mmarse1
    -both Andersen ( silverline) and ViWinco make low quality vinyl windows, especially silverline.
    -unfortunately Viwinco is another "builders grade" window
    Posts from replacement-windows.com
    -which will eventually bring you back to square one; poor performance and low quality. many local pick up truck type contractors go with viwinco
    -Viwinco is on the lower end

• PRO
    9 years ago

Windows evolve over time and I don't see any specific mention to the Cambridge here but perhaps they did.

Either way, the only comments that can be in held in context, are the ones inside this thread.

• Karateguy
    9 years ago

Lowgear, what is your obsession with ViWinco? It seems like you are more concerned with defending and promoting this brand than your window replacement project?!

Fact: at a u factor of .29 and AI of .1, the very best offering from this brand has pretty average performance at best. There is nothing more to say about that. There are far better windows out there, and far worse as well.

You referenced some ratings of a fixed unit earlier, and if those were given to you by a company rep I'd without disclosing that fact (a fixed unit not a double hung), that would be a big fat no-no in my book.

Bottom Line: If you can get that Cambridge for a song, I guess you could do worse. The Kenisngton is a better performer, and since it is the same contractor my guess is that the price is not too far off.

• hasook
    9 years ago

Can anyone help i am the process of buying replacement windows for a brick home in Camden, NJ. Anyone suggestions on which best brand to go with for sound barrier and longevity etc.....

• PRO
    9 years ago

hasook,

Best for you to start your own thread and get some feedback in there.

You can also search the forum as there are a bunch or really good threads on soundproofing and window options.

Happy Hunting and Happy Sunday.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths