Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nva_birdcrazy

Experience with HomeFix Corporation?

nva_birdcrazy
12 years ago

Hello. I would like to know if anyone has worked with HomeFix corporation for window installation, and if so, what was your impression of them. I may be negotiating with them in the next day or so and would like to hear impressions, how it was to work with them, etc. This is the HomeFix corporation based in Northern Virginia. Thanks!

Comments (17)

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

I don't know what window they use now but they previously used on made by Accu-weld. Not a top performer and Homefix tends to be on the upper end of the price structure. You can do much better here in NoVa interms of quality and price.

• nva_birdcrazy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Skydawggy. HomeFix is the company that is promoting Wincore windows, and they are in fact a slightly modified version of the 5400 series. They have provided what seems like a very attractive quote of $5,650 to replace 11 windows (4 windows are 43x60, 6 windows are 31x60, and one is a larger window). And, they would wrap three large dormers as well. They said they are not making any money based at this price, but would do the job as a model for future work in the neighborhood. I also have a quote for Softlite Pro windows for $6,300 from another company, but the warranty for labor and installation is only 1 year vs. lifetime from HomeFix. Decision, decisions. Based on what I've mentioned, should I consider HomeFix? I have looked at many other companies...Window World, Window Man, Firehouse, and more. The selection and options really are overwhelming to someone who is not in the business. THANK YOU!

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

The 5400 series is Wincores lowest quality. I would compare it to the lower end Alside Windows or a new construction builder grade window. It's basically a $350-$400 window that Homefix hypes up to make you think it's better than it really is. I'm not bashing Wincore 5400, it's just that there are much better windows available in that price range. Even the 7700 which is Wincores top model is only comparable with the Simonton 5500 series.

Whenever a contractor tells you they aren't making money on a job, it's time to walk.

• nva_birdcrazy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow, thank you Skydawggy. That's great information.Thank you for your time and advice. I really appreciate it. The sales guy did say that they are builder grade windows...he said that REALLY FAST...thinking it wouldn't raise any concern and that I would be impressed with what he claimed. But, I know builder grade often means lower quality overall. I wouldn't go with Alside, so I shouldn't go with Wincore 5400, either. I'll take a look at the quote for Softlite Pro again. It may be worth the extra $650 to go with a better product. Or, if anyone on this forum wants to do business and can offer a better price than what I've mentioned, please let me know. :)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    12 years ago

Do yourself a favor and let sky bid the project for you.

He has a better product than all of the ones previously mentioned.

• nva_birdcrazy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sounds good, windowsonwashington. Wait - you're in business, too, but recommending Skydawggy. That's a good endorsement. Of course, I need to stay within budget (don't we all?!) but will gladly consult with Sky. Thank you.

• HomeSealed
    12 years ago

nva, I have had the privilege of getting to know both Sky and WoW over the past year or two, and I can say that either of them can offer a superior product over what you've seen thus far. Regardless of whether you contact one, neither, or both of them, be sure to take a close look at the quality, reputation, and performance of the product that you are looking at, and choose an installation company that you feel is will do a superior job -- AND is trustworthy.

• HomeSealed
    12 years ago

... I'd add that using your project as a "model home" is one of the oldest tricks in the slimeball sales manual. I'd disqualify anyone who tries that tactic immediately.

• nva_birdcrazy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am very glad I stumbled upon this forum after 3 months of speaking to different companies and products. Thank you Homesealed, Skydawggy and Windowsonwashington. You are very helpful and generous with your time, informing many wary and now grateful homeowners in search of unbiased, excellent advice. I will contact Sky and/or WoW today. I agree that using my house as a model home does seem like an aggressive sales tactic...and the company that I was considering most strongly did ask me to do that. And, they have been very aggressive and pushy over the phone. And, wanting me to sign a contract by today. The big claim is that they are doing me a favor because they are not making any money at the price they are offering. I've learned so much here. Thanks again.

• dennisgli
    12 years ago

The big claim is that they are doing me a favor because they are not making any money at the price they are offering.

You should definitely tell them that _you_ will do _them_ a favor by giving your business to someone else that will be able to make a reasonable profit on the job!

• nva_birdcrazy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL - Dennisgli. I think things are definitely headed in that direction. How can a company agree to do a job when they are not making any money on it? I had no idea that I was hearing some of the oldest "tricks of the trade." I told them tonight, when they wanted to know if I had made a decision, that I decided to take more time to research windows and various options. I'm trying to take the high road, for now.

• millworkman
    12 years ago

Bingo, they will ALWAYS make money, either properly with a good product, good installation and a fair price or by slamming and inferior product with an inferior install in your home as quickly as possible at a stupid price.

• PRO
    12 years ago

This.....

The big claim is that they are doing me a favor because they are not making any money at the price they are offering.

You should definitely tell them that _you_ will do _them_ a favor by giving your business to someone else that will be able to make a reasonable profit on the job!

....is funny.

• nva_birdcrazy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

And, what is also funny (NOT!) is that they said the Wincore 5400 window is a $1,300 window and they were giving it away with no profit margin by charging somewhere between $400-$450, including installation. Why am I starting to think there are more dishonest businesses than honest ones out there when it comes to windows. Hope I'm wrong, but I do wonder...

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

That's what I was trying to tell you earlier, that Homefix jacks up the price of the window in order to fool consumers into thinking it's better than it really is. They actually train their salespeople to use this tactic. This has been an issue within the industry for a while. The other big lie is that new windows will save you 40% on utility bills. Fortunately, some Staes Attorney Generals are starting to go after these kinds of companies.

You are correct that there are many large companies that use these tactics. The reason that they do is because it works. They are not going to change until consumers start letting these companies know that these tactics are unacceptable and let them know by refusing to do business with them under any circumstances.

This is why companies like mine, WoW and Homesealed use forums like this to get the word out to consumers that this goes on, but not all companies operate this way. Some of us actually care about our customers and try to provide a quality product at a fair price. The old saying that an educated consumer is our best customer applies.

• PRO
    12 years ago

Many companies are honest.

Unfortunately for us, it seems that many customer get "sold" by the BS practices so they are filling a void that is readily created by uninformed customers.

If more folks were like you, those companies wouldn't exist.

• nva_birdcrazy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, Skydawggy, WoW, and HomeSealed (and others) for the great work you do to inform and educate us. I believe so strongly that we need to do our due diligence so that we can make smart choices when it comes to replacing windows and handling other home improvement projects. This forum is a terrific resource. There are lots of scam artists out there. I should know...my elderly mother in Ohio was scammed...lost much of her savings to a contractor who ran off to AZ with her money that she was using to build a home for my disabled brother. How cruel is that? Fortunately, the police went after this creep, found him, took him to court, and he now has a felony record. My mother had to hire a lawyer to go after him, and 5 years later, only recovered a tiny fraction of what he stole. We're still pursuing him, but the financial loss and stress this has caused cannot be put in to words. So, folks who are reading this -- please do your research and work with honest, ethical companies!