Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joe_mn

Window source

joe_mn
12 years ago

Mpls MN. Need 2 casement windows. 50Wx30H. 2x4 wall. Lower level of house. North facing. Need to open. Really want high R window. Any brands/models besides " no big box store"? I will install.

Comments (18)

• mmarse1
    12 years ago

If you do the install, you are excluding yourself from the higher quality brands which usually require an authorized dealer to do the installation. Any reason why you dont want to pay a little extra to have a real pro do the install?

• joe_mn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

will a pro even want to put in 2 ground level windows. dont even need a ladder. bet they would love that install. actually i have opened windows perhaps 3 times in a decade. they are never opened. might as well be single pane non-operating. no screen, no hardware. but, they have to be egress windows. so a avg big box window is 400 and a really nice pro window is 1000. will i ever make up the slight increase in utilities that a cheapo window will result in?

• GulfBreezeWindows
    12 years ago

"high end" windows are available through certian distributers. You either just need to find one in your area, or find one that will ship.

Brands like: Gorell, Softlite, PGT etc.

• mmarse1
    12 years ago

If you spend 400 at a big box store ands then need to replace it in 2 years because it leaks air and is warped you will be paying more than 1000.. So getting a true pro is worth it.

• joe_mn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

How do I find a pro window?call around? Use Internet?

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

I'd start by asking friends, neighbors and other people you associate with. If you know of a few brands you would like to look at, call the manufacturer and ask for a dealer. You can also use services such as Angies List. Once you have found a company and a window you like, ask for references and then call them and ask if you can come by and look at the window installed.

• joe_mn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lowes has stock vinyl windows. 4x2.5 single pane operating for $100. My lower level is garden level. Has lower cinderblock wall portion and 2x4 upper wood wall so I could build out wood section to get 6-8" wall thickness. Than add 2nd window in each opening for "double windows". Awesome. Double R value for $200 per opening. Never open anyway. Wall is on 20' wide so it's not much to frame out. A few studs, some sheetrock and bam. Super insulated north wall with see thru windows.

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

Why would you want single pane glass in Mn.? Even if it's just a basement window the odds are you will experience a lot on condensation.

• HomeSealed
    12 years ago

+1 to skdawggy's comments. That setup is not advisable imo.

• millworkman
    12 years ago

You start out by saying you want a "Really want high R window" and now your speaking of using Single Pane in Minnesota? You really need to figure out what your doing.

• joe_mn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I meant to say 1 piece of glass. A non-divided window unit. A "picture" window. Get it? What's the R value on a budget thermopane unit? Now get a premium window. What is the heat loss thru the glass? We are talking 10+ sq/ ft of glass. I envision using 2 separate window units in single rough opening. Making a sandwich.

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

So you are planning on installing 2 double pane glass picture windows into the same opening? If so, I would not advise that. There is a very good chance moisture will get between them and cause fogging. The moisture can and will over time create some pretty serious problems with mold etc.

Is saving a couple of dollars that important to you?

• millworkman
    12 years ago

Then you say "but, they have to be egress windows", fixed or picture windows are not egress windows!

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

Good point Millworkman. I hadn't read that post for a few days and forgot they have to be egress windows. Picture windows will definitely not qualify. In fact the only window that will fit in that size opening and meet egress requirements is going to be a casement window. That's assuming there is room to open it.

• joe_mn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

there are no bedrooms in lower level. its a rec room. code says you can have fixed windows. vinyl replacement windows have no jamb extension to speak of. so they are "thin". i bet you could put 2 units in a 2x6 framed wall with no mods. except the inside window would be mounted with the nail flange on the interior. odd but doable. i bet a thermopane replacement panel in the 3x4 size would be more than $120 which is lowes price for entire window. i am just throwing out ideas. yes they sound crazy.

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

Good luck with that one. Let us know how it worked out in a few years. Hopefully you won't do any unrepairable damage to your walls.

• HomeSealed
    12 years ago

Seriously Joe, this is not a good idea. None of us giving advice here can profit in anyway, so take it fwiw. Please don't do this. The best case scenario is that you will provide a good laugh (or complete bewilderment) to the home inspector that comes through some day when you sell your home... The worst case is disastrous failure in the form of built up moisture which could infiltrate the walls, etc and cause significantly more damage.

• joe_mn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So a fixed window leaks air? Add a 2nd window which is just as leaky and the warm moist air will condense on the inside of window #2? Even if both windows are fairly well built new units?