Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilhilly

Okna 400 v. Okna 500

lilhilly
12 years ago

Just got a quote on Okna 400 and Okna 500. I know the differences between the two windows, but am not sure whether the price differential justifies going with the 500. Can anyone help?

Quote was about $350 per window for the 400 and about $460 per window for the 500, so around a $1500 difference total (we're replacing about 13 windows). We expect to move in about three years, so would not recoup the money in saved energy costs. (We don't have central air and our baseboard radiators only yield about a $150 gas bill per month, at worst, during the winter-time.) The 500 would come with triple-pane glass, incidentally.

My gut is telling me to go with the 400 under the circumstances, but I usually don't like to pick an entry-level model. What do you think?

Comments (31)

• lilhilly
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay . . . not terribly helpful as responses go, I have to say. Let's assume it's 10,000 total versus 8,500 if that helps you wrap your head around it :-) Is the 500 over the 400 worth paying $1,500 for, assuming we won't be in the house for longer than 5 years.

As far as the price goes, the installer has been around for 30 years and is A+ rated by BBB. The triple-pane glass was an Okna-to-dealer incentive, so maybe they are offering price incentives as well? I know this year has been much harder for the industry than the two previous, due to the expiration of the larger tax credit.

• lilhilly
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Let me also be more precise about my math, because one of the windows is a picture window. DH's work out to $506 for the 500 and $386 for the 400, so still the same differential.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    12 years ago

The 500 series has a slightly more colonial exterior and a bit more detail in the extrusion, an accessory groove to tuck the trim coil into, a slightly better air infiltration number, and is generally more well received.

Given the numbers you have been quoted, I would go with the better window if you can swing it and that is a price that is much lower than I have ever seen. He is very close to straddling the point where the window project is being done at a loss in my opinion but if you like the contractor and the product, I would do it.

• mmarse1
    12 years ago

I agree. He is actually losing money at that price even if he is paying his installer minimum wage ( god forbid) ..

• mmarse1
    12 years ago

I agree. He is actually losing money at that price even if he is paying his installer minimum wage ( god forbid) ..

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

That price is so low, I would be very wary. Make sure everyting is in writing and make sure you understand all the details. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

• lilhilly
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The contractor is Okna's licensed dealer in my area, they have been in business for around 30 years, and they have only positive reviews on Angie's List (and an A+ on BBB with no complaints listed, resolved or unresolved). I do have the price in writing. If I ask to see some samples of prior work in order to check the quality of the installation, what should I look for as signs of a bad install?

FWIW, a poster from this week on the other board you folks frequent said he/she just got a quote for $368 per window for Okna 400, Deluxe package. Mine's higher at $386 -- and not for Deluxe -- so it doesn't seem crazy . . .

• mmarse1
    12 years ago

It's probably the same installer. Anyone who does a job that cheaply and actually loses money needs to have his head examined and is also in dire need of a financial planner.

• thomas1975
    11 years ago

I just received an estimate for Okna 400 Deluxe for $350 each installed. Have prices come done recently or do you all still consider this too good to be true? This comes from a highly reputable company with excellent ratings on Angie's List and a nearly spotless BBB record.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Sounds too cheap to me but there are guys on here you can tell you better than me. You sure they included everything as that actually sounds closer to just the material pricing?

• mmarse1
    11 years ago

i almost didnt comment on this but i am. 350 is absolutely ridiculous, they are literally losing money; dont know what else to say. of course they could be counterfeit windows from china.lol

• thomas1975
    11 years ago

They claim this includes everything except the option of grids for $60/window.

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

I would have to agree. A quality window cannot be installed for $350 or $386 or $3-anything if that includes capping etc. Maybe if it is a one man show with no office, no overhead, and he is just coming in and doing a 20 minute "caulk and walk" install that could be possible. Even then, there is little to no profit.
    Definitely too good to be true.

• thomas1975
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info everybody. I really don't know what to do here. They came to my house just like everyone else and gave me an official estimate just like other companies. They are absolutely not a one-man show (in fact I think they are bigger than other companies that came for an estimate), have great ratings/reviews as I mentioned earlier, and as far as I can tell are doing a quality install, not a caulk and walk (though I'm not certain on the capping). How much should capping be?

• energy_rater_la
    11 years ago

we have a local company that sells decent windows
    installed for $198
    to upgrade to low e add $30
    upgrade low e and argon gas add $50
    upgrade to low e/argon hurricane glass $300 per window.
    these are double paned single hung vinyl windows.

these windows test well. pass air leakage & light
    meter verifications.
    even have nfrc sticker on windows.

I'd think, if a company only does window change outs
    they get a better price on a window. since this is
    the only install the price would be lower.

best of luck.

• mmarse1
    11 years ago

energy rater
    give me a break. you are obviously attempting some sort of spamming.
    any company that offers installed windows for 198 are nothing more than scammers installing junk. no reputable company would ever engage in such sleazy tactics. its companies that advertise ridiculously low prices for garbage windows that give the industry a bad name.
    dont bs people by claiming a company can buy windows in bulk and get good pricing.. thats utter nonsense.

• toddinmn
    11 years ago

I am sure the pricing is without cappping, even then it is still a good price. The 400 is a good window and as your accountant I would recommend it as it.

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

If the install is without capping, then it sounds more realistic, although it is still ridiculously low. Generally "interior installs" without capping are referred to as "caulk and walks". 20 min per window, in and out.

I like energy raters's comment " They even have nfrc stickers" ! LOL... as if that somehow means that they are good quality. A window that can be installed for $198 is almost guaranteed to leak more air than the old one that is coming out. The COST of a good window with very few options to a high volume dealer will be more than that. That doesn;t even include labor.

• toddinmn
    11 years ago

There is nothing wrong with an interior install nor installing with out capping.If it is taking 20 minutes, then they are taking some shortcuts.One could just as easily do a cap and walk in 50 minutes.

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

Wow Todd, you must be a dynamo on the brake if you are doing an install and cap in 50min ;)...
    There are indeed some circumstances where an interior install is a better option, I was just pointing out what the install will likely consist of at such a discounted price. :)

On another note, the issue of lead safe procedures (or testing) for homes built prior to 1978 has not been brought up either. Is this something that was addressed lilhilly?

• toddinmn
    11 years ago

My point was if you are taking 20 minutes for an interior install it probally wouldn't take much more than 30 on the exterior.One could call an interior install a caulk and walk if they are only spending 20 minutes but it usuallytakes an hour or so. Capping of the exterior takes me longer than 30 minutes, just figured if it only takes you 20 to do a "caulk and walk" it would only take 30 minutes on the exterior.So if the windows cost around $200 or so for the 400, $150 for 20 minutes to an hour is pretty good and a littl above cost.

• Ryan Jermyn
    7 years ago

I have called an company to get a price on a 400 and it was $200 for the window. I would be doing the install myself so I don't see how an installer would not be making money on the windows.

• millworkman
    7 years ago

What ryan4258?

• fridge2020
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Those windows must have fallen off the back of a truck then, because the wholesale price is more.

There is also something called a cost of doing business Ryan. Your Nike's(or whatever brand shoe you wear) probably cost $4 to make between materials and sweatshop labor, however people pay upwards of $100 a pair. Same with clothing. Same with restaurant food, although their margins are even lower. Not sure why this is so difficult for people to wrap their brains around when it comes to construction, yet the BBB and other consumers protection agencies overflow with complaints about shady contractors and people wonder why.

At the end of the day, a reputable, successful home improvement company is only going to profit somewhere around 10% (give or take of course), and that is at a price MUCH higher than you received, and certainly much high than $350 or $400 installed. Buy cheap if you wish, but know that it is at your own risk. Don't expect any tears when the contractors takes off with your money, or when you have thousands of dollars in water damage and mold because of a crappy installation.

• millworkman
    7 years ago

It was also 2012 fridge, lol.....................

• PRO
    Window1
    7 years ago

You are full of it ryan4258. No way can anyone get that window anywhere near 200 bucks. Okna would be losing money.

i dont know what your deal is but you obviously came to this board to cause problems and provide false information.

• fridge2020
    7 years ago

I hear ya millwork. Doesn't change any of my points though, and you can bet that other consumers are reading the rest of the post through a 2016 lens unfortunately. Just throwing in a little ejumacation for anyone that thinks those prices are fair.

• PRO
    Window1
    7 years ago

The year makes no difference, no way can anyone buy that window for close to 200.

• Whats InAName
    7 years ago

The "pro"s in this board tries to seminate a false fact that any decent deal must be scam. I had installed windows by a no name installer and one with lots of recommendation by "pro"s of this board. The no name installer had zero problems. The highly praised pro cost us more and left us with flooding in one of the windows. And that guy simply tried to cover his rear by blaming the roof while poor installation was the culprit. That being said, $200 is still a little far fetched for Okna 400.

• fridge2020
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

SOrry to hear about your problem. Was the source found? Did they determine that it was the window and not the roof? Did the installer refuse to fix it or deny responsibility?

I don't think that I have read anyone "seminating" false facts that a low price is a scam. I only see advice from "behind the curtain" in the industry regarding what is a fair price and what is not. Even then, its all about the amount of risk involved. I think all would agree that buying from a tiny operation "no name" installer at a very low price is a much riskier proposition than an established company with a great reputation and history. Common sense. There are many statistics to prove that, and while sometimes an amazing deal is exactly that, there is a very good reason why construction has one of the highest complaint rates and a poor reputation, and its primarily because of fly by night companies as this is about the easiest industry to get into. Big companies aren't perfect either, but once again, the chances of problems are reduced in a linear fashion as the reputation, age, and size of a given company goes up. The trick for the the consumer is finding the balance point in that equation, where things are just right and cost and risk are balanced with the proper weight on each side. If there is any bad advice being "seminated" here, it is that using a "no name" at a price that seems to good to be true is a wise choice. If it worked for you that's great, but more times than not it results in people posting here looking for advice on how to deal with the debacle that they have found themselves in.

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA