Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vinyl Replacement for Mobile Home? Help!

Posted by safaribabe (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 4, 09 at 13:10

Looking for replacements that also qualify for the tax credit.

First, can we buy the windows and install them ourselves and still get the tax credit? DH is very handy and I have a great video on how to DIY.

The mobile home has siding.
Windows need to be double hung 30 x 70. The bottom is a foot from the ground so needs to be tempered on the bottom.

Unlike a 'real' house, putting alot of money in windows is not an investment that will be recouped down the road. And in this free fall housing market, it's a waste anyway.

Would it be worth it to try to just replace the broken aluminum window and not worry about vinyl? The sliders broke in both of these windows. Is that the same cost in the end more or less as a vinyl window replacement?

The mobile home has siding so the fins as I understand it, would not work for these windows.

I have seen people replace windows in like mobile homes and they end up PAINTING the exposed aluminum frame. I have heard that this means the window was the wrong one if the frame showed to that is the only option. this from installers and window shops. I can't get a straight answer.

I am on the Central Coast in California so limited by brands in Cali.

TIA for any help or inside into this overly complicated... racket?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vinyl Replacement for Mobile Home? Help!

The rebate is on the window, as long as it meets the guidlines (30/30)you can get the tax credit. The way i read the rules, they do not even have to be installed, they can just sit in your living room.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here