Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
virginiagentleman_gw

what would you do?

virginiagentleman
14 years ago

Our home is 12 years old on the bay but it gets hammered with noreasters and tropical storms. The windows on the bay side are either nonopenning or are crank style. The crank style are leaking where the crank housing attaches to the window frame. Water just oozes out. I have had people look at them and they say the water and wind come so fast the water can't evacuate through the normal system. Caulking of the windows is up to date. We have lost our hard wood floors as well as problems with the drywall on the lower ceiling from this. What would you do? Replace the windows? If so with what? Install hurricane shutters etc. to decrease the wind, rain when a bad one hits? House would be dark but maybe drier? Other ideas? Waiting for the insurance company to see it they will cover some of this but need to move forward so time is an issue. Thanks for any help you can give us.

Comments (6)

• afsa
    14 years ago

Wow, that is rough. Must be some amount of water as tests i have seen it is usually horizontal rain before that happens. At this point short of changing your windows i would probably go with the Hurricane Shutters

• virginiagentleman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

afsa you are right on. The water actually is horizontal and at times even rains up as the wind and water hit the windows and the house. Worse yet the siding is Dryvit so wonder about the wood underneath etc. Have been having the moisture checked but not since this episode. All volunteer Army here as we knew the Bay was there when we moved in! I am leaning toward the Hurricane Shutter route(added protection also). However do not want to make a mistake and have to do this yet again if water comes in. But the cost? I understand they are NOT cheap but I guess you usually get what you pay for. Any suggestions as to the type of Shutters etc?

• afsa
    14 years ago

I am not really familiar with any companies that make them. I would probably Google them and look for companies in Florida that also work on the lower east coast as this is the predominant area they are used. After finding 2 or 3 companies, check with the better business bureau locally to them and then send a request for pricing. To get basic pricing you should be able to measure then eliminate the bids you do not wish to use before inviting the company to the house for exact dimensions. Pleas make sure and tell them upfront what your major issues are and let them recommend the proper product for your application.

• macv
    14 years ago

This is a serious issue and deserves the advice of a professional. Don't try to do it yourself; it will never get fixed.

• virginiagentleman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the feedback all. Believe me, I have no intention of doing any of this myself. I just want the best solution. I would rather not have to both replace the windows and add the hurrican shutters unless I really had to. Am concerned about water getting in and going beneath the hardwood floors and traveling a long way in as well as down to the floor below.

• mtamta
    14 years ago

I'm a contractor. I have installed many windows in houses on Martha Vineyard. We get rain, snow, salt and high wind.
    I'd install a tight vinyl-clad window and make sure that you use Ice/water around it and caulk every edge. They won't leak.

If you put in a custom replacement window and the rain is getting in from the frame, you will still have water come in.

None of my windows have EVER leaked. Once again, many of the houses I renovate are on the beach.