Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karenh_g

Looking for very energy efficient hinged patio doors

KarenH-G
11 years ago

We are planning a 1st floor remodel in our split level home and are looking to replace our Okna kitchen widows with a hinged patio door as we move the "guts" of our kitchen to the current dining room. Okna does not make a hinged door, only a sliding patio door which I don't really want. The area is right next to the open wall to the lower level (a banister protects the drop down) so in the winter the cold air in the kitchen drops right down to the family room. Our Okna window guy was no help in providing another solution other than the Okna sliding door. Does any one out there know of a hinged glass door with great qualities? It will be on a north wall so we don't get a lot of direct sun to be concerned with in the summer. We do have two dogs who will use this door multiple time each day. Any help will greatly appreciated! We live in a Chicago suburb if that has any bearing. Thanks ~

Comments (11)

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

Look for 'French doors.'

Weatherstripping determines how 'tight' they will be.

• KarenH-G
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks 'brickyee'. I have looked for French doors and garden doors but it gets very confusing (and them I'm told what I want is a hinged door!). We will have a 6 foot opening, so not only do we want a door with great seals to prevent the obvious leaks but also with glass that will prevent alot of the cold coming through. It seems that some of the doors out there are great the first couple of years but then quickly lose a lot of the efficiency. If we do get a french door, we really only want one side to work. I was just hoping that someone has some experience with a particular brand that they know is good long term.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    11 years ago

If you only need one active panel, it will help you clarify for the folks you will talk to if you refer to it as a hinged patio door.

There are several good manufacturers of this door system and your request is not that specific that any number of manufacturers could not accomplish this.

A door's ability to maintain its seal and weather tightness is due, in large part, to how well it was installed.

• KarenH-G
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks 'windowsonwashington'. Maybe that's been my problem....I haven't been specific enough, but we are so confused! For the material of the frame, which is the best - wood, fiberglass, steel? We do understand now that vinyl is too heavy for a hinged patio door. Then for the glass - is double pane good enough or should we go with triple pane? Is triple pane going to be too heavy? Will we lose too much efficiency if we have blinds between the panes? Is low-e with argon gas good enough or should we upgrade to Krypton? It seems that whatever a sales rep is selling is our "best option" and features he doesn't have are not needed! When I search online I find alot of unhappy people with Anderson, Pella and Marvin. Are there big differences between them and Pro Via, Therma Tru and Simonton? If we have $2000 to spend on a 6 foot door, what is truly our best option? Would we be considerably better off spending more or less. I'm hoping to get an informed, unbiased option here on couple of specific doors that will keep the cold Chicago air out! Thanks for any help.....

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

You are correct that you will not find a hinged door (at least not a good one) in vinyl. That eliminates Simonton. Provia and Homeguard make excellent doors, and Thermatru has some nice products as well. My preference is fiberglass, but insulated steel is good as well as long as you pick a well-made product.

On blinds in the glass: You will not lose any efficiency if you operate them properly (ie: closed in the summer sun, open in the winter sun)

On triple pane and/or krypton: I always recommend that you purchase the most efficient choice within your budget, however you find find that there is a very limited selection of those options in doors for various reasons. Most of your energy loss in a door opening will be through air leakage, so that would be my primary concern (a well-constructed unit).

On budget: $2000 will be in the range of a great sliding door like the Okna, however hinged doors are going to bump up the price significantly. You will be very hard-pressed to find a quality hinged door installed in that price range. more commonly, I see $3-$4k or more depending on options, and that would be for an opening that already exists. Add more $$$ if you are needing a window opening modified to accept a door.

• KarenH-G
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you 'homesealed', your information is greatly appreciated! It will help get us going in the right direction.

• KarenH-G
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you 'homesealed', your information is greatly appreciated! It will help get us going in the right direction.

• PRO
    11 years ago

Very solid advice HomeSealed.

That is pretty normal for what we see as ranges as well.

Polaris also makes a pretty decent product at a good price point. It is also good as what it does.

• KarenH-G
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks 'windowsonwashington'. I have not heard of Polaris before.....I will check them out, too!

• PRO
    11 years ago

Good luck.

Keep us posted.

• Amy Kaufman
    3 years ago

Karen curious what you went with and how well you like it?

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler