Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_big_bad

Win-Dor in Southern California?

the_big_bad
12 years ago

Does anyone have experience with Windor? It's a company based in Southern California that apparently manufactures its own windows. I wonder how their product compares to Milgard.

Comments (14)

• contractiontruth
    12 years ago

look up their BBB... search for reviews... ask for customer testimonials...

Make sure it have a good warranty (after reading it) has a good u-value (under .30) , looks nice , and doesn't use string pulleys or lubricated pieces.

90% of all replacement windows look the same.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    12 years ago

What is wrong with a "string pulley"?

• contractiontruth
    12 years ago

a "string pulley" is exactly that string. who whats to spend thousands on windows that operate with string lol

is that a serious question?

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

Most high end windows use "string pullys". The only people I ever her bashing them are those who really know nothing about windows except what they were taught to parrot by their handlers in sales training class.

In 30 years in this business I have never seen a string that broke. Do you have any idea what the tensile strength is of a "string pulley? Did you know that "string pulleys" are factory tested to 40,000 openings? The only failures 've seen have been due to a manufacturer who failed to secure it to the frame. I can however tell you I've seen more failures of constant force balancers. Did you know that constant force is tested to 4,000 openings? However, either system should give a homeowner trouble free service for the life of the window.

You need to report this new information back to your sales training handlers so they can come up with better ways for you to "kill" the competition. This tactic doesn't work on anyone who knows anything about windows. It does work on the feeble-minded, however.

• websnooper
    12 years ago

+1

This guy is a complete dope skydawggy.

• Julie Baker De Marco
    4 years ago

A+ rating with BBB.

• Julie Baker De Marco
    4 years ago

I still look at old threads for info. I'm currently deciding on which mult-slide company to go with. A couple of places have recommended WinDor to me, but I can't seem to find much info on them on the Houzz threads. Just thought I'd answer the BBB questions for those looking at WinDor now.

• millworkman
    4 years ago

BBB is not the end all be all. WinDoor is a middle of the road quality wise and performance wise.

• Julie Baker De Marco
    4 years ago

I know - was just answering the question. Thanks for info though. Looking for a 23 foot (non pocketing) multi-slide that will open in the middle. Any suggestions?

• millworkman
    4 years ago

Weiland (Andersen owned), Marvin, Kolbe, Arcadia, Solar Innovations, Fleetwood, Nanawall are some that come to mind right away. Most companies offer them but there are many that I would never mention when I was asked for a recommendation.

Where are you located?

• Julie Baker De Marco
    4 years ago

Thanks! Will check them out. I am in Southern California.

• oberon476
    4 years ago

I would add Western Windows to millworkman’s list.

• millworkman
    4 years ago

I would agree with that oberon476.

Sponsored
BME Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structure