Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
numbersjunkie

Tilt and Turn?

numbersjunkie
9 years ago

Just wondering if anyone can comment on this style? It sure seems interesting as long as you have the space to allow for the inswing option. Does anyone know how they compare to casements in terms of price?

Comments (16)

• PRO
    Ultra Windows
    9 years ago

They're quite a bit more expensive typically, with limited manufacturers. Tilt and Turn windows are very popular in Europe, not so much in the US.

• millworkman
    9 years ago

What ultra said, here in the US the higher end companies (Marvin ((Ultimate not Integrity)), Kolbe, Loewen) all make a good unit. Be prepared they are probably 1-1/2 to 2 times the price of a casement.

• HomeSealed_WI
    9 years ago

+1. Very cool concept, OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive. Most people never actually use the "turn" function much in daily living, nor are they really designed to be. A casement or awning will deliver the same performance and most of the functionality at a much lower price. Being a window geek I think that they are pretty cool, but again, you really have to love the concept to spend the $$$.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

I dig them but as you mentioned, they aren't very functional if you are near furniture.

We have specified them in several egress applications.

If I were building a home, I might incorporate them into the design.

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

Love them. First used them when we lived in Europe and knew we would want them when we built our house. Ours are from Germany. Yes, they were expensive.

• oberon476
    9 years ago

I put them in my daughter's house. They become the center of attention whenever she has visitors.

One of the nice things about them is that they seal TIGHT.

• numbersjunkie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your comments. I was especially glad to hear about how tightly they seal since that was a concern. I doubt they will be in our price range but we have taken a leap on things like this before - so who knows.

• historwinman
    9 years ago

Tilt an Turn units becoming more popular as Most Passive home designs require Tilt and Turns or fixed sash for energy efficiency. Operate like an in-swinging door that can tilt for small amount of ventilation they can be difficult to manouver in tight quarters and to clean if you have large units.

MILLWORKMAN Loewen Do Not Manufacture T & T's.

• numbersjunkie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am seriously considering Loewen, but not sure what type(s) of windows I want. I was checking their website and see thay have someting called an Access window that is pretty unique - I love the way it tilts 180 degrees for cleaning, and it looks like your can tilt it out like an awning window for airflow. But the best part is that it allows a single wide window - for a great view. I'm sure it would be very expensive like the Tilt and Turn, but still pretty cool. It might be just the thing for at least one of my openings!

• mmarse1
    9 years ago

I know both veka and rehau have tilt n turn designs. Maybe contact them and ask them some questions.

• ablab38
    9 years ago

We have Intus tilt and turn and love them. They were comparable in price to a good Marvin or Anderson. The only downside is the long lead time as they are made in Lithuania amd come over on a slow boat. But love being able to tilt the windows open when it is raining and no water comes in. I would use them again in a heartbeat.

• ablab38
    9 years ago

We have Intus tilt and turn and love them. They were comparable in price to a good Marvin or Anderson. The only downside is the long lead time as they are made in Lithuania amd come over on a slow boat. But love being able to tilt the windows open when it is raining and no water comes in. I would use them again in a heartbeat.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

Intus does make a nice window. They have a distribution location near us and have some really fantastic data on them as well as structural numbers.

• numbersjunkie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have been looking at the Intus info and it might be worth a road trip to the DC showroom. Thanks!

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

Has the quality of Intus windows gone up a lot since 2012? We saw the Intus windows when we were building. At that time, they had not sold any in the US. The numbers looked good on the windows, but the quality, especially at the mitered corners left a lot to be desired.