Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which Brand Vinyl Replacement Windows?

Posted by hmmgfx (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 26, 10 at 12:23

Finding a good installer was the easy part. Hard part is choosing a good mid grade window for my mid grade budget. I've narrowed it down to NT Window Presidential Series, Double Hung W210; NT Window Executive Series, Single Hung E110; Alside Sheffield; and Wincore 5400 (although the Wincore Warranty doesn't include labor, parts only) Now I'm hearing Alside isn't that great. And also hearing Simonton is very good. But none of the installers mentioned Simonton. Suggestions on which brand is the most durable with fewer problems?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which Brand Vinyl Replacement Windows?

Does the installer also handle window brands? Most do. If so, what does he/she recommend? Very simply, there are several good brands of windows with excellent warranties. However, IMO, the windows are only as good as the installer who will stand behind their work.

You want to look at the E value of the windows and the level of insullation in the frames. I highly recommend double hung windows that tile inward for ease of cleaning. My Plygem windows also have screens so I can raise the windows for ventilation.

Don't know where you live, but location of the installers often limits selection of brands.

o

The fact is Certainteed has never made a window. They sub contract the manufacturing to other companies. In fact the "name" Certainteed was recently sold to MI windows who makes a very average window at best. The last time Certainteed Windows were of any quality was years ago when Simonton made them for Certainteed. The Bren Mawr is a very average window in performance. It is also a very square, boxy looking window that will reduce the amount of glass very noticiably. Much better choices would be PGT, Simonton, Gorell, Softlite and Sunrise.

o

What Skydawggy said.....Certainteed is barely an OK window. We install Softlite.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here