Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lpetchen_gw

Vytex Potomac Series v. Okna 500

lpetchen
10 years ago

HELP! We have narrowed down our vinyl window replacement to these two choices. There is about $1,000 price difference between the two to replace 27 windows. I am not concerned about the price difference if the Okna is really a better window. What do you professionals think? I do believe that both contractors we have contacted do high qualty work. I am also concerned about the Vytex due to some warranty issues I have read and heard about, although those complaints were several years old Please help me make a decision. Thanks so much in advance.

Comments (8)

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

Which Okna line? If the 500 or 800, the Okna is the superior performer. $1k is a very small premium given 27 windows, and figured over the lifespan of the product (30+ years). I think that you'd be very happy with the Okna.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

For a $1,000 delta, its not even a question in my book. I think the Okna is superior and certainly given the very small spread in price.

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

Agree

• lpetchen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the replies. Would your answers be any different if we were planning g to stay in our current home for only the next five years?

This post was edited by lpetchen on Tue, Nov 5, 13 at 16:09

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

No. The better window is what it is, and its essentially $37 per window difference. A window that is of superior quality and performance will be better from day one, and that gap will only grow wider over time as the inferior product will degrade more rapidly. Both of those products SHOULD still look and operate like new in 5 years, but if your 5 yr plan turns into 10-15 or more, I'd want the better product both for your benefit and that of the potential buyer.
    Lastly, you might consider letting the Okna dealer know your situation and see if there is anything that he can do to help close that gap in $. 27 windows is a nice sale that I'm sure he/she does not want to lose.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

+1 to HomeSealed advice.

That is not a big gap to spread at even an abbreviated time lapse.

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Vytex has a good rep in our industry and have been around a long while and good warranty service. If you look hard enough the best company will have at least a few disgruntled customers over the most trivial thing.

the vytex potomac would be on par and comparable to okna's 800 and the vytex fortis would be on par and comparable to the okna 500 window. Basically you are getting the potomac at the okna 500 price which sounds good to me. Both vytex windows are very good indeed. Okna does make a good window just to be fair. need to say that at risk of getting shot in the head. Lol

You seem to be getting a nice package at a competitive price on the vytex.

• PRO
    Window1
    7 years ago

Vytex and Okna make solid windows. Either would serve you well.