Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacing old single glass panes with new double glazed panes.

Posted by newskilz (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 5, 13 at 11:52

I have 2 super cute old wooden casement windows with a crank that have single pane glass inserts. I would like to upgrade the glass and replace them with double pane insulated glass. The windows are maybe 8x11 inches - the windows themselves measure approx 18x48 8 panes total. I am having a hard time finding these to buy. Where can I find these on line or manufacturer. I live in the NYC area. I would love to have it professionally done but we are looking to save money.

Thanks so much

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacing old single glass panes with new double glazed panes

Insulated Glass will not be able to be installed in a window designed for single glass, the sash is not designed for the thickness to be accepted into the sash.

o

+1 with what millworkman said. You'd need to replace the window. Maybe could find a custom sash maker to make you a sash with insulated glass in it to fit in the existing frame, but I have no leads for that area.

o

Leave the windows as is. If you're looking for insulation from the cold, would a removable exterior storm window help, or fit the frame? The window isn't opened in the winter anyhow. Or it may be feasible to consider an interior storm window. Either may have better warming qualities than the glass you seek. Good luck.

o

There are some companies that can retrofit single pane windows (not with the true divided light grids...but with clear glass and/or internal grids) into insulated glass windows but I think they are few and far between.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here