Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Window Grids

Posted by k9arlene (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 12, 10 at 11:49

My house is 10 years old. It has windows with plastic grids. The last couple of years I've noticed a chalky substance on the grids when I run my finger along them. When it rains hard, the chalky substance runs off of the grids and onto my windows. Even when I try to clean the windows, if the rag touches the grids accidently, it smears all over the glass. Does anybody know what this stuff is and how I can get rid of it? Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Window Grids

Is this happening on the inside or outside? It sounds like either the grids have paint on them that is oxidizing or bubbling or the vinyl is low grade and is deteriorating. You could try wiping them down really good and then applying more paint.

o

Thanks for the reply. It's happening on the outside. They were never painted, and I had a painter come out to look at them and he said you don't paint plastic. Is this true? If I try to clean them, what do you recommend that I use. It's more than just a light coating of chalky stuff.

o

You can paint plastic if it is properly prepped.

What color?

o

They are now white and I was planning to paint them white. How would I prep them for painting? There is a rather thick layer of the chalk.

o

Scuff pad, good washings, and wipe down with a tack cloth.

o

Kilz or Zin... the one with the bulls-eye next to the kilz cans - both primers are supposed to be ok for plastic.

o

"Kilz or Zin... the one with the bulls-eye next to the kilz cans - both primers are supposed to be ok for plastic."

The problem with painting plastic is getting a primer that is aggressive enough to bond well without being so aggressive that it weakens the plastic long term.

Plain water based products are rarely aggressive enough to bond well.

o

There is a product that I have used. It comes in a spray can. It is for certain plastics.
Check with you hdw store. It does not need primer. It melts the plastic and fuses the new color paint to the old.
Don't remember the name. It worked well. If memory serves me, the surface needed cleaning with TSP then acetone or MEK.
It might be worth checking into. FWIW Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here