Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
r2d2indy

Marvin Infinity Casement Vs Double Hung pricing

Our architect thinks the casement window pricing is cheaper than Double Hung, Could that be true? I find it hard to believe.

Also is there a way to choose casement in certain areas and double hungs in other areas.
Can someone suggest that to me where Casement would be ideal.
Here are our elevations pics link;

https://drive.google.com/?authuser=0#folders/0B8gidG-zgRRrbHpuOXpueF9fZ3M

Comments (11)

• islnddog
    9 years ago

FWIW casement windows weather seal better than double hung....I've always thought they were about 10-15% higher in cost

This post was edited by IslndDog on Wed, Nov 26, 14 at 13:21

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Absolutely more expensive, i do not know the percentage but definitely more expensive.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

+1

Minimum of 10% on average in my observations.

• Karateguy
    9 years ago

agree with the guys above in that the casements are more. The real question is, why Infinity? If you want a stained interior you would be better served with a real wood product, or if you want performance/warranty in white, go for a good vinyl product.
    Infinity sells a lot of windows, but I have yet to meet anyone who did not choose a different product upon review of facts and data

• mmarse1
    9 years ago

Casements are a,ways more expensive. Also depends on what style your home is. Colonial, cape, contemporary?

• r2d2indy r2d2indy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ours is a modern style home and we had very little price differential and we went ahead with Marvin casement windows.

• mmarse1
    9 years ago

very good choice.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

I put in some casement windows at my cottage. I used Anderson. A vey nice product. It's a vinyl and wood composite mix. So the window will never warp, much like a fiberglass and vinyl composite product Magic windows offers. Except the price is way better. I am not impressed with vinyl windows. I will never use them. I'm sold on this composite material though.

• Karateguy
    9 years ago

So you think that mixing saw dust in with vinyl gives it magic powers? Lol
    There are good windows and bad windows of every material.
    The vinyl/sawdust mixtures are made for one reason and one reason only, so that you can be tricked into paying more because it is something different and exotic. Not saying that the material or the windows made of it are total garbage, but they also do not offer anything that any other window does not.
    Its the engineering of the product that will prevent warpage, not the added sawdust.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Well all my vinyl windows warped and the magical sawdust ones are fine. That says it all. I'm totally sold on the magic dust windows. The climate on the island is severe.An amazing product. As all else fails. Congrats to Andersen!
    I disagree about the engineering too, garbage in garbage out. It's the material not the engineering. I can only go by my own experience and I will never buy vinyl again. You get what you pay for.

This post was edited by Drew51 on Fri, Dec 19, 14 at 10:34

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

Drew,

I am glad you are happy with the windows that you selected but I am not sure that you feedback should be the standard bearer by which vinyl is measured.

By composition, the windows that you installed (composite) are 60% vinyl resins. Does this mean they are only 60% junk?

There is such a larger collection of vinyl windows out there that is numerically going to be more junk by shear volume. That said, I would not refuse to own and automobile because I once owned a Ford Pinto.

If you look at the design pressure (i.e. measure of structural stability), you would find that of the top 100 windows out there, better than 80% would be in vinyl. Probably a better indicator of strength than past experiences or fancy brochure imagery.