Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Independent vs factory authorized installer

Posted by jennifer_in_kansas (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 13, 11 at 11:42

I've found a window installer I'd like to use. He's installed vinyl windows in several of my neighbor's homes. He started out with a large company, but went independent 10 years ago and now runs a small crew. He has a great standing in the community and I'm pretty confident he'll be an honest guy to work with.

I have a couple of concerns.

One is all of the work he's talked about has been installing vinyl. If I decide to go with aluminum clad is it so different I should worry about installation?

Also, he has been installing Alside. I guess you can't fault him for installing what my neighbors have chosen but during our visit he all but recommended Alside. That could be, though, because I was a referral from my Alside neighbors.

He did admit he wasn't a saleman, just an installer. He said he'd get a quote on whatever window we wanted but never offered any advice on brands.

If I went with aluminum clad, would it be safer to chose a factory authorized installer who is more familiar with the product OR would a very conscientiousness but mostly-vinyl installer do just as well?

Thoughts?

Jennifer

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Independent vs factory authorized installer

I'd simply ask what experience he has installing the windows you are considering. "Factory Authorized" installer may not mean anything more that someone sat through a 5 hour course. I would lean heavily towards someone with a lot of experience with whatever window you end up choosing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here