Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's behind the casement?

Posted by digiweb (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 24, 09 at 11:00

When the kitchen window was replaced there was no insulation back there. If we go with replacement windows for the rest of the house there'll be no casement work so no new insulation back there. How big a factor is that insulation? It's expensive to tear out all the casements and do new construction windows (our original choice). Can we take a chance on Okna 500 replacements and leave the casements alone, or do you think we will we regret not getting in there and insulating?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's behind the casement?

I think I had the same issue. Between the window and the house framing there was just open air covered by trim on the inside and aluminum on the outside. I shopped and found a guy who actually did the whole job for less than inserts but did go from Marvin Infinity to Marvin Integrity which in the end I was much happier as the Integrity's seemed nicer to me.

19 Windows Some very large Awning windows were Marvin Clad.

Milgard Vinyl replacement quote was like 9800
Pella full frame Fiberglass was 16k
Marvin Infinity was 15k
Mix of Marvin Clad and Marvin Integrity full frame was 13k

o
RE: What's behind the casement?

I've since talked to several installers. If you get replacements or new construction the contractor should know how to insulate. At a minimum they can pump foam in through a small hole. Or they can take the casement out to insulate

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here