Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elvisruns

Replacement window research

elvisruns
9 years ago

I've been stalking this forum for a little while as I tried to research windows to begin replacing a hodge podge of Pella and some unidentifiable brand that have either Truth or other hardware (all existing windows are casement or picture, aluminum exterior with painted wood interior, and all were installed between the mid 1980's - 1991 by previous homeowners).

Doing the research and trying to compare apples to apples has been nothing short of adventurous, Getting manufacturers to respond to even give me a local distributor/installer to contact for pricing has been very poor.

I first thought about going Pella (Proline) or Andersen (400) in replacing the first batch in the family room. Then doing more research and thinking about how we've had to try to scrape & paint the interiors of the existing ones makes me think about looking at some higher quality vinyl or fiberglass products. And yes, my wife had someone from Renewal come out and give us the 90 minute sales pitch.

I'd say that thermal performance is probably my biggest priority, followed by long term maintainability and appearance.

If anyone could direct me to a few manufacturers (if they have a distributor in Northeast Ohio, even better) they know of that have most, if not all of the following qualities mention in one of the other window threads:
- 7/8 inch overall glass system.
- Warm edge spacer system such as superspacer-
- multi-channeled vinyl (not sure if this would really apply as I am dealing with casement windows
- good warranty & customer service

Of course we all want to get the best value for the money - I know what replacing these windows with either the Pella Proline or Andersen 400 will cost, so I'm not scared of pricing, but I want to take a hard look at another material before I pull out my bank card. I have a contractor that can install whatever we decide to go with if certain mfr's don't have a local installer.

Thanks

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Ultra Windows
    9 years ago

Soft-lite, being a Ohio company with good products, should be on your list to consider. I'd also have a look at Okna, Sunrise, and Marvin Integrity for fiberglass.

• HomeSealed_WI
    9 years ago

Excellent list above.
    Regarding your list of qualifications, even the poorest quality vinyl units will meet most of those. I'd take the focus off of the actual options, and more on the tangible product of those options via the performance ratings.
    Look at u-factor (.25-.27 for double pane is very good), SHGC (unless your home and surroundings are designed to accommodate a very high SHGC, you want something around .25-.35), AI (air infiltration under .05 or so) DP (R50+ with non-metallic reinforcement if any).

If you follow those guidelines when looking at vinyl windows, you should end up with a very good choice.

• elvisruns
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the information. It's been helpful.
    Unfortunately, it looks like Soft-Lite directs me to a local window company (whom I contacted) that wants to do the dog & pony rather than just take my rough opening sizes and get me pricing for the windows I am trying to compare.
    I stopped by the lumber yard where my contractor got quotes for the Andersen 400's and they do carry Simonton as a vinyl alternative. Any feeling or thoughts on those?

And nothing against the distributors, but honestly, I'd rather just have our contractor to do the installs rather than have to go through a company that wants to sell me more than what I want right now.

• bpchiil
    9 years ago

elvis - the dog and pony shows are for the folks that have not done their research.

One image that always comes to mind for me ... a guy and his wife sitting at a kitchen table listening to a guy or gal go on and on about their product, as the couple sits there with mouths dropped and hanging onto every word (or in most cases BS) that comes from his or her mouth. Next thing you know....the guy or gal has them signing on the dotted line - spending more than they should.

You've done your work, and educated yourself. Talk to these contractors and they will soon realize that they can't sell you a window, but sell you their service.
    There are contractors that will come and measure and give you an installed price, without the dog and pony show. If it were me...I would be looking at the three other manufacturers that ultra has pointed out.

Good luck!

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

+1

If you are done your research, don't be afraid to engage a contractor in a discussion about what you would like and most often times, they can truncate the presentation and give you the details on the project more quickly.