Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
walterhill

Cost for Pella, Andersen, Marvin Wood Double-Hungs

walterhill
14 years ago

What prices are people getting to "replace" (meaning inserts) or "full tearout" (new frame, as well as the window) for wood double-hung Pella, Andersen, and Marvin windows? Also, how much do installers negotiate?

The windows we're interested in are tax-credit eligible, low-e, with no grids. We're Northern Virginia, near Washington, DC.

Our initial quotes are in this range:

Andersen 400 series: $900 per for replacement, $1100 tearout.

Andersen 200 series: no replacement option; $900 tearout.

Pella ProLine series: $830 per replacement, $910 tearout.

Marvin: no quote yet.

This seems insanely high to me. The window units themselves, if I were to buy them myself to install, are less than $500 per, meaning the installation price is $400-$500 -- that works out to 13 hours of labor at $30 hour per window! No way that installation should cost that much. Perhaps there is a disposal fee and some other costs, but that seems very high.

Comments (5)

• skydawggy
    14 years ago

Think supply and demand, then add in liability insurance, advertising, marketing, tools, warranty, profit, down time between jobs, telephone, taxes, unemployment insurance, health insurance etc. Suddenly that $35 an hour is less than minimum wage.

Of course you could probably just hire an illegal alien, or a homeless guy for what you are willing to pay and then hope for the best.

Oh.... and I agree, I think that's too much.

• walterhill
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Please try to be serious. The average hourly wage in the USA is below $18.70 (see http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.t16.htm). I'm glad for you that you're a rich man but some of the rest of us are, well, average.

But fine, let's call it $80 per hour. The installation would still be 6+ hours per window. It sounds high, whether by the dollar figure or the implied hours figure (I've been told that the pros take less than two hours per window). What are other people getting for estimates?

• skydawggy
    14 years ago

The normal dealer charge for labor on an insert window is around $200 per window. You may find some who charge a little less but you will also find many who charge more. So while I agreed with you the prices you posted are out of line, $30 per hour is ridiculously low and I doubt you would find an experienced installer willing to work anywhere near that cheap. Debate it all you want, it is what it is. And I am being serious.

• afsa
    14 years ago

Do your quoted prices include removing the existing unit and diposing of it, prepping the opening, any reframing that may be required ? All of these normally go into the costs, and 2 hours to properly install window may be a bit on the shy side, pricing as i am familiar with would be probably around $800 for removal and a new install plus dumpster costs and if the window opening needs to be changed plus framing and material costs.

• from_a_buick_8
    14 years ago

For what it is worth, the quotes i am getting on Andersen and Pella are about the same, right at $1,000 a window for a complete tearout.

I looked at vinyl and the cost was less , around $600 a window.