Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldfixer

Wooden Storm Window Project

oldfixer
10 years ago

Being in need of a storm window on my Castle to replace a rotted one prompted more adventures to tackle such a "woodworking" project. Maybe my unconventional ideas will be of help to someone else with the same needs. Simply put, you can do this too. People with the proper tools, equipment, skills, and wisdom could probably accomplish the task in much less time than it took me. Watching $$$ is always important. My investment in materials, and new glass, was $40. Compare that to having a wooden storm window made.

Lazy me is not going to re-do the entire article of how it was built. You'll have to visit it via the link below on another site. I've included a picture here of the finished product installed on the house. Works for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wooden Storm Window Project

Comments (4)

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

Nice work. Keep in mind that your time is also money, but if you have plenty of that then this is certainly a viable choice. :)

• oldfixer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Plenty of time' is not the issue. If a project takes 20 hrs, and you have 1 hr daily, thats 20 days. Someone with 10 hrs daily would take 2 days. If I'm not working, then my wages are zero. If my wages were $50/hr, then by going to bed and sleeping 8 hr, I must be $400 in the hole. How does one calculate the value of their time? DIY projects are intended to save money.

• Karateguy
    10 years ago

That is a pretty silly statement. I'd have to agree with HS that it all depends on how much spare time you have and what it's worth, and it would be pretty logical to value your time at what you could be earning by doing something else, or perhaps what you couldbe doing instead like spending quality time with loved ones. These things will vary for everyone. It is wonderful that you took the time to do that project and I'm sure that you feel a great sense of accomplishment ( which also has value), but If you spent 20 hrs reconditioning a storm window, I'm sorry but that does not sound like a good value regardless of whether it was over 2 days or 10. You'd probably be more profitable by selling crafts at at a farmers market and paying for new storms. Again,kudos to you for undertaking the project, but I find more often than not that diy'ers pat themselves on the back for saving money because they completely neglect to include any value for their time spent. I'd assume that is what the other poster was getting at.

• Karateguy
    10 years ago

I'd also mention the hazard of dealing with lead paint, which judging by the picture, your home is likely to have. The knowledge, equipment, and materials needed to handle that safely ( for your own benefit and others) is another cost factor.