Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Windows with or without Jambs

Posted by matt_in_ks (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 21, 12 at 9:53

Comparing window quotes for new construction and had a question about jambs. Anderson 400, Milgard Tuscany, and Superseal (lumber dealer really wanted to include windows but didn't have many options on the superseal) did not include jambs. When I asked one of the dealers said they often get damaged during construction and it's better to have your trim carpenters do it at the end. The Marvin integrity included jambs and that dealer said that is standard. I feel like it would be easier to make everything perfect if we installed jambs at the end. What are everyone's thoughts between the two?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Windows with or without Jambs

SuperSeal is a lower ed vinyl offering right at the bottom along with silverline and MI .
higher end vinyl would be Okna, HiMark, soft lite, gorell, sunrise. i know Okna can come with an extension jamb and im pretty sure the others do as well.

o

I thought the integrity would let me have a wood interior in my more public places and then all ultrex in bedrooms and such to save cost but the all ultrex ended up being more expensive since the jamb wasn't wood. Really liked the look and feel of the integrity vs. the 400. I haven't completely ruled out vinyl but I was surprised with how close the integrity cost was to the Milgard so I'm leaning towards it. Especially if I'll need to add to my trim carpenter's bill going with the no jambs.

o

matt
integrity is a nice window.

o

+1. Integrity is a nice choice... If you do look further at vinyl options, look for the brands that mmarse mentioned above. Milgard is decent, but I like those others better.

o

Thanks guys, what are your thoughts on factory jambs vs. site installed?

o

i order jamb extentions quite frequently and never have an issue. it makes the install less labor intensive.

o

Factory jamb extensions are the way to go. Much less expensive in the end for you versus the finish carpenter installing on site. If needed, he can add some nice finishing touches like stools and aprons.

o

+1

If you can get it factory installed, it is much easier.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here