Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacing cord on double hung windows

Posted by ang0462 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 22, 11 at 9:21

I'm hoping someone can help me because I'm really at a loss on how to proceed. First, I can say that I am pretty handy with most household repairs, construction, etc. So no problem in that regard.

The cord of one of the double hung windows in my girlfriend's apartment snapped. I obtained some new cord, found a procedure on line for removing the vinyl "track" in the window frame, removed the sash and expected to see a "lid" of some sort, wood or metal, with a screw that I would remove. Once the lid was removed I should find the counterweight and from there I could proceed with replacing the cord.

Unfortunately, I found no lid of any kind. Another very hand friend also took a look. We removed the trim from the front of the window and couldn't see anything that way either. We are completely at a loss for how to access the counterweights and cord to repair this window. I'm not absolutely certain, but I believe they are Anderson windows, they are wood, and probably about 20 years old.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Angelo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacing cord on double hung windows

Go to a lumberyard or a window store that sells Andersen with the dimensions of the unit and the age. They will order you a new balance box, as far as I know replacing the cord in an existing box is a pain in the ass if even doable. The new box should be under $15.00.

o

Sounds like a window with a spring counterbalance instead of just a weight.
Some older designs still used cord to connect to the spring, often concealed in the window track itself.
Sash weight are not small things about 1.5 inches diameter and 10-12 inches long, and need a decent size weight pocket to operate.

o

Is there an "Andersen" etching in the glass?

A picture is worth a thousand words in this case.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here