Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Upstairs egress window: no energy rebates?

Posted by taddpeake (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 15, 10 at 7:18

I'm having the windows in one of my bedrooms replaced, which apparently must include one egress window.

The company installing them says they don't qualify for the tax rebate because the manufacturer didn't bother to get them NFRC rated.

Are there any double-hung upstairs egress windows that are NFRC rated?

Thanks for any response.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Upstairs egress window: no energy rebates?

I should include that this is in a condo ... the new windows must approximately match the existing double hung windows.

The rough opening size is about 36 in. wide x 48 in. tall. (tape measure guess) so it should be a readily available size. You know when they built these things that they didn't do anything custom.

The existing window opening (push one sash up) is just shy of the minimum required 5.7sq. ft. so they told me the only option is to put in a window that allows the entire window (both top and bottom) to swing in, creating an opening big enough for King Kong to pirouette through.

o
RE: Upstairs egress window: no energy rebates?

Some companies such as Simonton make what's called a Colonial Casement. It is made to look like a double hung but will solve your egress issues but still conform to HOA rules and qualify for the tax credits.

Here is a link that might be useful: Simonton Colonial Casement Window

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here