Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you help me size my window grills please?

Posted by BelfastBound (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 29, 13 at 6:48

Our window salesman does not give advice and said to ask our architect who we sent packing months ago.

DH and I have SGS - Skinny Grill Syndrome and to alleviate it we are going fixed interior/exterior with spacer bar. Beyond that we don't know how to make the grills look right in the window

We have a lot of Andersen 30x30 with a simple 2 lite over 2 lite for a craftsman appearance. This is a lot of glass and I think it calls for the largest grill possible - that which is customarily used on a door 1" 1/8.

What do you think? And if we go this route, would we do the same size on double hung windows which are cottage style, 2 over 2 in upper sash and that sash is sized about 30x30 for RO.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you help me size my window grills please?

You should be able to get an Andersen rep to give you a rendering of the windows with the proposed grid patterns. This will give you the visual and will let you sanity check the size and pattern.

o

Thx Wow I will try to get this rep to earn the $7,000 premium over Home Depot prices that we are paying just for the "convenience" of doing business with him - The quote does have a tiny sketch next to each window which was helpful in seeing that the sizes we picked out would not lend themselves to that "4 square" look. Is that the rendering you refer to? The grills are about the width of a sharp pencil in these 1 inch sketches.

I was told that Andersen is raising their prices at the end of end next week. Has anyone else heard same?

o

It is not that difficult to plug it into their system and get a full sized rendering so I would just ask them to produce it in a variant that allows you to see what you need to see.

Good luck with the project.

o

Haven't heard anything on the pricing stuff but we don't do that much Andersen business.

That being said, we have gotten hit with regular price increases from all of our vendors of late. Seems like the ACA and the general devaluation of the dollar are taking a toll.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here