Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilylchen

What color should the jamb and parting bead be painted?

lilylchen
11 years ago

OK, I know the answer is probably "It shouldnt be painted at all!", but that would mean leaving bare wood exposed, right?

I have an old 1930's bungalow with the original, double hung wood windows. They operate terrifically - no sticking at all. I am in the middle of a painting projet, and was talking to the painter about making sure the windows would continue to operate terrifically. His team had sanded/scraped the old paint that was there, and had just sprayed on the primer coat on a small section of the house covering one window when I caught up with them (its a rental, so I'm not on the job site full time). He told the guys to mask the jamb and parting bead (not sure those are the correct terms, but I mean the vertical pieces that were exposed to the outside when the sashes are locked in place) for the rest of the windows, and not paint them.

Whew, right? But since these were sanded and scraped, now I'm wondering whether that's right. There was a protective "brown" layer of paint before (didnt match the most recent trim), but with that gone, wont NOT painting these parts leave it raw and warp with moisture? The trim is going to be white, and the sashes are going to be dark gray. Should these pieces at least have one thin layer of paint on it, and should they be painted white to match the sill?

Thanks in advance for a quick response. I'm catching a break because of the rain, but suspect that they would otherwise wrap up the work on Saturday or Monday.

Comments (2)