Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flashed Properly?

Posted by xrayvision (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 17, 10 at 5:23

Had sliding doors replaced. They left the old aluminum sill pan in place and put some black tarry caulk - Butyl I think they called it. No bithathane on the bottom, just over the sides and top over the face of the slider. (the website won't let me spell bithathane correctly)

The also replaced some windows, without a bithathane sill pan. I had to show them a youtube video showing how people do it, and made them take out the window and put one in. I talked to person in charge of the store and he said using the butyl is the standard way to install windows and sliders, not a bithathane sill pan. From what it seems like using butyl only is using the old way.

Will I be ok?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flashed Properly?

I just saw a episode of This Old House where they installed a replacement vinyl window. It was a casement window. The flashing was part of the window and was an extension of the vinyl. The old sill pan had been renmoved because they said it was not needed. The window is installed by shimming to the correct height and level. Then the flashing was nailed to the rough opening to attach the window. Next they went around the window with roofing felt. I believe this was caulked first. Next, a special window flashing fabric (looked like shiney plastic) was applied. I think it was self adhesive. Finally, the trim and sill were snapped into place (also part of the window made by the manufacturer) and the edges were caulked. A third grader could have done it.
If it were me, I would want something better than butyl caulk.
Is this better than the old way?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here