Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nbekman

Windows for 1927 Spanish-style home in San Diego

Nicole
11 years ago

Hello all! We recently purchased a great (small) Spanish-style home in San Diego and are in the process of trying to improve its energy efficiency. One major concern is, of course, the windows. There are a total of 22 windows: 7 original, double hung, single pane windows with beautiful wavy glass; 2 new vinyl windows and 13 old, awful aluminum windows that are falling apart. Ideally I would love to replace all of the aluminum windows with wood matched to the original ones and restore the originals, but the first estimate I received was $900-$1300 per replacement window and almost as much to restore each of the 7 original windows. The original windows are in very good shape considering their age, and both the originals and the aluminum framed windows have fabulous original woodwork inside and out. Given the size and cost of the home, it just doesn't make sense to spend $20-30k on the windows, but I am so confused about what I can and should do to improve the functionality of the windows and maintain the character of the home. What do you all think? Thanks for your help, Internet searches can be very confusing!!!