Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Windows for 1927 Spanish-style home in San Diego

Posted by nikolatta (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 13, 12 at 4:42

Hello all! We recently purchased a great (small) Spanish-style home in San Diego and are in the process of trying to improve its energy efficiency. One major concern is, of course, the windows. There are a total of 22 windows: 7 original, double hung, single pane windows with beautiful wavy glass; 2 new vinyl windows and 13 old, awful aluminum windows that are falling apart. Ideally I would love to replace all of the aluminum windows with wood matched to the original ones and restore the originals, but the first estimate I received was $900-$1300 per replacement window and almost as much to restore each of the 7 original windows. The original windows are in very good shape considering their age, and both the originals and the aluminum framed windows have fabulous original woodwork inside and out. Given the size and cost of the home, it just doesn't make sense to spend $20-30k on the windows, but I am so confused about what I can and should do to improve the functionality of the windows and maintain the character of the home. What do you all think? Thanks for your help, Internet searches can be very confusing!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Windows for 1927 Spanish-style home in San Diego

Storm windows are probably your cheapest avenue from point A to point B.

They make both interior and exterior storm windows.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here