Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mirrors within window frame

Posted by marvelousmarvin (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 26, 12 at 1:29

I was reading a NYTimes article about house hunting for views, and they had a quote that said:

"This may explain why, in model apartments, "it's not uncommon to have mirrors within the window frame so that when you're looking out it reflects a certain desirable angle."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/25/realestate/the-view-finders.html?pagewanted=1&hpw

Does anybody know what they're talking about mirror within window frame, and how that helps with a view?

I have a peek-a-boo view, and I was wondering if I could use such a window for this view.

This post was edited by marvelousmarvin on Sat, Dec 1, 12 at 1:49

"This may explain why, in model apartments, "it�s not uncommon to have mirrors within the window frame so that when you�re looking out it reflects a certain desirable angle."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/25/realestate/the-view-finders.html?pagewanted=1&hpw

Does anybody know what they're talking about mirror within window frame, and how that helps with a view?

I'm interested in it because I have a peek-a-boo view, and I'm curious if such a mirror in the window frame would help that view.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mirrors within window frame

I've never seen that before.

o

Rats behave badly when you cram them into a small area.

o

Once in London, we visited a historic home/museum with multiple small bulls-eye mirrors around the inside of the window frames. I always reckoned they were there to bring in more light but perhaps they were also to sneak a peek down the street. I might try replicating it some day with those little stick on convex mirrors designed for the corner of your rear view mirror.

o

There are many prewar highrise buildings that have thick walls and thus deep window embrasures--even 6"-12" and some people place mirror to cover the side jambs entirely in this deep embrasure. Even if the windows are treated with sheers and traditional drapery. It actually almost disappears but widens the views. I have seen some very traditional and spectacular apartments with this treatment.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here