Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stotes_gw

DIY Replacement Window, Where to Buy?

stotes
10 years ago

Hello! I'm a relatively new home-owner wanting to replace a very old kitchen window as part of a remodel. I consider myself to be pretty handy with most home repairs. I've done pretty much everything BUT replace a window. I feel pretty confident in doing the work, plus I have access to friends who also have experience.

The reason for this post is that I am interested in getting the best replacement window available. Ideally, I'd like to order it online and have it shipped to my front door. However, I've seen a few posts mention that it's not the best way to go. I imagine that this is due to the high potential for damage during shipment, and the logistical difficulties that could result from measurement snafus, having to send the product back, etc.

So if going with an online manufacturer/distributor is not favorable, how do I go about getting a window locally that is of good quality, but still do the work myself? I had a local company come out and give me an estimate. I didn't realize when I made the appointment that they also required that they do the install. Needless to say, the price for one 42x42 window was an absurd $1,340 (with a lifetime warranty on the window and the install, which was kinda tempting, honestly)!

I've looked around online at some of these websites and seen prices in the $300-400 range for a basic double-hung vinyl replacement, which seems reasonable to me. Heck, for a good window I'd go above that no problem. The problem is that I don't have any confidence on the brand of window that these websites are offering (Jeld-wen, Crystal, etc). I would consider using WindoweStore if I knew of someone who had experience with them; assuming it was a positive experience, of course.

I'd love to get a good quality window made locally and install it myself. But my searches so far have come up short. I live in Birmingham, Alabama. The weather is relatively mild compared to some.

I appreciate your help and wisdom!!!

Comments (5)