Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to tell if installed windows have nailing flange

Posted by tngrl (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 24, 09 at 0:23

I have single hung aluminum windows installed in a house built in the early 80s. Some neighbors have wooden windows, a few have aluminum and some vinyl. My house is brick with no trim so I can't just remove the trim to see if these have a nailing flange or not. The side jambs do have what appears to be screw holes, but there are no screws in them. Short of removing bricks on the outside is there a way to determine if these have a nailing flange under the brick? I'd like to replace these with vinyl windows, but this will make a huge difference in the labor costs.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to tell if installed windows have nailing flange

If the jamb holes are not used the window is probably secured either with metal straps that extend back into the house and are bent over and nailed to the framing OR a perimeter nail fin was nailed to the exterior sheathing. You can probably tell by removing the interior trim and pulling out any insulation or sealant. Use a strong light (head lamp is best) and a thin probe like an ice pick.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here