Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gracie76_gw

Who's at fault? Dealer/Installer or Me?

gracie76
9 years ago

I need honest opinions...

We have 6 windows with the original (15 year old) plantation shutters. We replaced 3 windows with new shutters. We purchased this house a year ago.
We used a dealer, a guy who has his own company. He was referred to us by an interior designer who we used briefly.

He came to my house, looked at the windows and took measurements. He even helped repair some of the old shutters that we were going to keep.

We had a discussion around color choice and framing. He also provided a choice between inside and outside mount frame. I mentioned that the original are outside mount frame. He said that we can go with inside mount as well. Would work fine. I said ok. I felt like it was totally up to me, and that both would work just fine for our windows. I just picked inside, as we saw no difference. Shutters got installed. Everything was fine. Months later, I go to thoroughly clean the windows and realize that since they TILT OUT to clean, I can't tilt the window all the way....BECAUSE of the inside mount frame. The inside mount blocks the window from tilting out all the way. (The window slides up and down to open for air, but to clean the outside glass panel, it tilts out.) So our windows only functions fully with an outside mount frame.

I feel that if I brought in a professional window coverings dealer and installer, that that is part of his job to look at our windows and identify what window covering works best. I never purchased shutters before...I feel he should have flagged this. Especially that the other windows have outside mount...shouldn't he have thought twice about saying that inside mount is just fine.

In addition, we purchased blinds from him and already put in a deposit for solar shades for other windows.

He is willing to replace the shutters but is still charging us some for them, but not full price.

It was a big oversight on all of our sides, but aren't the professionals suppose to know what works for what windows? And advise the client accordingly?

What do you all think?

Thank you.

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

Should he/she of known...probably.

That being said, plenty of folks in the window blind/shade install end of the equation have missed that before and unless he/she knows that the windows have that function, it would likely get overlooked.

It is something that we now mention to our clients and are cognizant of after a couple of mistakes by salespeople.

If it was a window person who also did shades/blinds...I would say yes.

If he/she is just on the blind/shades side, easy to miss.

• gracie76
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your thoughts. Yeah, I think he is just on the shade/blinds sales and installation end. It might be easy to miss, but looks like I have to pay for that mistake and someone who uses his services will get an accurate installation in the future. Oh well....live and learn, I guess.
    Thanks for your reply.

• PRO
    9 years ago

No harm in asking them to share in the cost of remaking or at least supplying the labor to reinstall the new units.

• mmarse1
    9 years ago

I agree, i wouldnt fully blame the guy. You really should have demonstrated how the new windows would operate. I dont believe he should pay anything. Its unfortunate but no way he should pay, he is NOT a window guy.

• Karateguy
    9 years ago

I'd agree. This is something that a the window treatment sales person SHOULD be able to identify, however you also are responsible for knowing how your windows work and conveying that info to them. If he/she is getting you new treatments at a discounted rate that sounds like an appropriate solution, although it is not unjustified to say that this experience leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

• gracie76
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone for your input. We must be working with a really great window treatment company because they agreed to replace the shutters at no cost to us. We're sticking with them to do our other windows, so we appreciate how flexible they have been. And we would highly recommend this company to friends.

• HomeSealed_WI
    9 years ago

THAT is great service!

• PRO
    9 years ago

+1

That is a stand up type of company right there.

• mmarse1
    9 years ago

Man, that is unreal. I dont know of any company that would fix something that wasnt their fault. You must be a victoria secrets model..lol

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm