Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msavold

Viwinco windows or Andersen?

msavold
14 years ago

Folks:

I'd love some input - we're costing out a new house near the beach in DE. Local code says the windows have to be impact windows.

So far, one of the builders we're most interested in has said "With the salt air around here, use Viwinco windows. Andersen windows have given me nothing but grief over the years."

The other one says "I wouldn't use anything other than Andersen 400 series windows. They're the best for around here."

Which one would you choose and why? (The Andersen ones are going to cost more $, but that factor aside, I just don't know which is better/more durable in a salt water environment.

Thanks for the input!

Comments (16)

• macv
    14 years ago

It is pointless to compare the reputations of window manufacturers, you need to tell us the model of the windows. Andersen make two different kinds of 400 series windows and several different kinds of operating systems. They have little in common with each other. Be specific if you want specific responses.

• msavold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oops! I thought I had - one of these days I'll learn to re-read the whole message before posting!

The options are:
    - Andersen 400 series, tilt-wash, double hung, DP50 (a.k.a. Stormwatch 400 series)
    - Viwinco OceanView double hung (tilt & wash also) (also DP50)
    Both would have low-e glass
    The exterior walls (if that should make a difference to the choice...) are 2x6 framing

Also, it's not just the manufacturers I'd like some feedback on - more the construction, maintenance requirements. and durability in a salt air environment of these two windows.

Thanks!

• notrab
    11 years ago

What is the answer. We have the same problem at the jersey shore?

• EcoStarRemodel
    11 years ago

I would use a vinyl window in this circumstance. However, I would not use Viwinco.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    11 years ago

+1

There are better vinyl alternatives.

Simonton probably makes the most widely available impact rated vinyl window.

Be prepared though, a Dade County certified impact window is not cheap.

• mmarse1
    11 years ago

both Andersen ( silverline) and ViWinco make low quality vinyl windows, especially silverline.
    higher quality vinyl windows are Okna/ HiMark, Sunrise, Soft Lite, and Gorell.
    all offer laminated glass packages.

• LowGear
    9 years ago

Viwinco seems to be an inferior product based on the comments here. I am replacing all of the glass on the front of my home.

The ratings reflected in Viwinco brochure meet or exceed NFRC guidelines. Why do you folks have a negative opinion of ViWinco? I am now leary since ViWinco is what my contractor suggested.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    8 years ago

Interesting first post.

• PRO
    Window1
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Agree with windows on washington regarding his first post.

The fact that you are comparing viwinco to silverline says alot since silverline by andersen are flimsy garbage. Viwinco is a contractor window, plain and simple. The viwinco impact window has a DP 50 rating ? Big deal, both okna and soft lite exceed that number with their regular windows never mind an impact window. Not only that, viwinco has to make their frame extremely bulky to get that DP number while both okna and soft lite dont.

the fact that you reinvigorated a very old post , setting you straight seemed warranted.

• HU-345087837
    2 years ago

I built custom single family homes gor 16 yr

in north wildwood nj

a barrier island.

i used viwinco windows and sliding patio

doors and never had a complant about product. you can shoot water from a hose

at patio door and never get a leak

they offerer extention jambs

come with J channels attached .

why dont you actually look at them

at a supppler.

PS if you dont trust the word of uour contractor why are you using him

DUH

• PRO
    toddinmn
    2 years ago

You are 5 years late on a 11 year old post.

• HU-676745768
    2 years ago

Many still read old posts based on key-words/brands. I'm interested in reputation of Viwinco as well.

• millworkman
    2 years ago

"I'm interested in reputation of Viwinco as well."

Low end builder grade product.

• Key1cc
    2 years ago

I had my 1-story house demolished and rebuilt from ground up and a 2nd story added and my contractor used Viwinco windows Oceanview with impact glass (a total of ~50 windows). I live in central New Jersey. We moved in the newly built home September 2020. We are now 1/2 way through the 2nd winter and have had zero issues with the windows. They are far better than the windows I had in my prior homes (I am 60 years old currently living in my 4th single family home).

I am by no means a window expert, but these seem solidly built to me and no drafts when near them. I bought them more for added security since I am not near the salt water. I know this is an old thread but I also know people still look at it as I am a prime example.

Key1

• Window Genius
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

ViWinco are total garbage and whomever thinks otherwise has very low expectations. The only place I would put Viwinco windows would be at the bottom of a swamp.

Sponsored
BME Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structure