Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boca33434

Anderson-Eagle E-series clad French door

boca33434
10 years ago

I was hoping to have a Marvin Ultimate clad in-swing French door (3 panel) installed on our patio. While the dealer has been very easy to deal with, his recommended installer has not been. He rarely responds to questions. Also, the recommended installer insists on placing the Marvin door directly on the bare plywood floor without using any sill pan, membrane, or flashing to prevent leaks. As a result, I am thinking of using an alternative brand.

My next choice in brand would be Andersen (there is no Kolbe around here). I prefer a metal clad door. As a result, I am thinking of the Andersen- Eagle aluminum-clad French door, E-series. (I do not want vinyl clad)

I know the Anderson-Eagle door is not as good as the Marvin. For example, the Anderson-Eagle E-series multi-point lock uses three locks into the side jamb whereas the Marvin's multi-point lock system links into the side jamb, header, and sill, making a more secure fit.

Besides this difference, are there many other disadvantages to the Anderson-Eagle clad French in-swing door (assuming the installer is good and uses the proper sill, membrane, or flashing at the bottom)? I am concerned about potential leaks.

I should note that I will be staining the inside wood and plan to get pine.

Thanks for your help.

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

They are both well regarded lines inside two well regarded brands. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

I assume your also going with a different dealer and installer?

• boca33434
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the reply and query. Yes, I will be going with a different dealer. It is a design gallery that specializes in Andersen (not a big box store). The new dealer has his own installer.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

OK, you did not say but just wanted to make certain.

• PRO
    East Bay 10
    10 years ago

I am troubled by a couple of things. You only have one option for a Marvin door? Why don't you call another Marvin dealer or at least talk to that Marvin dealer and tell him that you aren't comfortable with his recommended installer? He might have someone else to recommend.
    I might also add that Eagle doors do not have adjustable hinges if that is important to you.

• boca33434
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your comments.

I have tried to convince the installer to use some sort of pan system, but he states that he has installed hundreds of doors (he is a Marvin master installer) and notes that he always places Marvin doors on bare wood and never has had a problem because he uses so much adhesive.

The other choice for a Marvin installer (as listed on the Marvin web page) is really too far away.

I appreciate the note about the adjustable hinges. That is an important consideration. Our house is 25 years old, but our current door sometimes does stick.

• PRO
    10 years ago

I am sorry, but I will only say this....If I were replacing a door at my own home....I would use a sill pan.

The door should not be sealed or glued to the sill plate as the solitary means of leak prevention at that level.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Definitely insist on a pan of some sort for certain. Again you cannot rely on sealant or adhesive for watersealing a door sill.

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

Sill pan is a must in my view.

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

I have several customers who have had warranty issues with Andersen, and were told, good luck.

• PRO
    10 years ago

What type of warranty issues snoonyb?

That is a pretty large accusation to lob without a good bit of follow up or information.

I am not an Andersen apologist by any means but if you are going to impune a company, you better have some detailed information.